[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter May 13th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 8 de Junho de 2011 - 23:11:14 WEST

E ainda mais um número com as " novidades " da GLASER...

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter May 13th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

7 Rays Mint Tetra

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2019%2020
11/spinitherobolus-sp-7-rays-m.jpg>

We imported this new, very nice and interesting tetra for the first time now from
Brazil. Obviously this species originates from the Araguaia/Tocantins basin in
Central Brazil. In the most current issue of the German aquarium magazine "Amazonas"
(Issue 35, May/June 2011, p. 79) this fish is named "7 Rays Mint Tetra" what is
adopted here.

The fish become about 3 cm long and the males can be easily recognized by the very
strange looking laterally broadened anterior anal fin rays (seven, thus the popular
name) and the saw-like keel structure at the lower end of the caudal peduncle.
Structures of that kind can be found in the genera Spintherobolus and Serrapinnus,
but in the 7 Rays Mint Tetra the anterior anal fin rays are not connected by
membranes which is the case in all known species of Spintherobolus and Serrapinnus.
Thus our fish might not belong only to a new species, but also to a new genus.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2019%2020
11/spinitherobolus-sp-7-rays-f.jpg>

Regarding keeping the new species proved to be undemanding so far. The fish are
typical, very lively schooling fish.

For our customers: the animals have code 293692 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Serrapinnus: Latin, means "saw-fin", referring to "the peculiar shape of the
anal-fin rays of mature males." (Malabarba, 1998). Spintherobolus: from ancient
Greek, means about "emitting sparks", probably referring to the lateral line organ.

Suggestion of a common name: 7 Rays Mint Tetra

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Apistogramma agassizii FIRE-RED

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2019%2020
11/apistogramma-agassizi-fire1.jpg>

Currently we have wonderful, fully grown specimens of this marvelous sport in stock,
originating from German breeders. The fish literally seem to glow from inside! It is
very interesting that the typical polychromatism that can be observed in wild
populations of this dwarf cichlid is also found in this artificial sport.
Polychromatism means that coloration differs individually. In this case the
differences in coloration are not due to the origin of the fish. Thus males of "Fire
Red" agassizii appear with a flamed caudal fin and males with a totally red caudal
fin in one offspring.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2019%2020
11/apistogramma-agassizi-fire2.jpg>

All kind of Apistogramma agassizii - may they represent wild populations of
artificial bred sports - are ideal aquarium fish that are not too much demanding
regarding water chemistry. However, even those hardy dwarf cichlids prefer soft and
slightly acidic water. The fish will always delight the keeper with their fantastic
colours and interesting behaviour.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2019%2020
11/apistogramma-agassizi-fire3.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 614874 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Apistogramma: ancient Greek, means "with unreliable line". It is not known
whether the lateral line organ or the pattern is meant. agassizii: dedication name
for Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz (1807-1873), an important naturalist.

Suggestion for a common name: Fire Red Dwarf Cichlid

  _____

Hypseleotris compressa

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2019%2020
11/hypseleotris-compressa-m2.jpg>

Sometimes it happens that even we run short in finding superlatives: in any case this
fish deserves to create one! It is so beautiful.... H. compressa is a sleeper goby
that lives free swimming in the water column. In contrast to many other gobies this
fish is not a bottom dweller. In Germany the genus Hypseleotris is called "minnow
goby", for the fish live like schooling minnows in the open water.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2019%2020
11/hypseleotris-compressa-m.jpg>

Males of this goby - it occurs in the wild in northern Australia and southern New
Guinea - literally switch the light on while displaying. It is highly recommended to
keep several males together in one tank, so at least one is in the mood to show the
fantastic colours. The females are not so deep bodied and have a rather dull
coloration.

Sadly it is very difficult to breed this fish under aquarium conditions. The fish
spawn readily (they are substrate brooders), but the eggs and the fry are extremely
small and the offspring is able to survive only in strong brackish or marine water.
Here they can be fed with live marine plankton (for example oyster larvae).

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2019%2020
11/hypseleotris-compressa-f.jpg>

On the other hand the fish are extremely hardy and undemanding. They tolerate
temperatures between 18 and 35°C and almost any water chemestry. However, medium hard
water will fit best.

For our customers: the fish have code 421682 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Hypseleotris: ancient Greek, means "deep Eleotris"; Eleotris is another
genus of goby. compressa: Latin, means "compressed".

Common name: Empire gudgeon

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover96engl.jpg>

Issue 96 of AqualogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>