[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter May 20th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Terça-Feira, 14 de Junho de 2011 - 22:37:12 WEST

Viva amigos !

Aqui vai mais um passo na actualização.

Amanhã mando a revista Brasileira também.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter May 20th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Pimelodus tetramerus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/pimelodus-tetramerus-einzel.jpg>

The genus Pimelodus is quite specious and currently comprises 34 accepted species.
Due to the lack of a recent revision it is not easy to identify the species. In the
aquarium hobby only one species is of some importance: P. pictus, the angel catfish.
One more species, P. ornatus, is a rare and highly demanded species for specialized
aquarists. Several other species have been imported now and then but never became of
any importance.But now we were able to import one more species from Venezuela that
has at least the potential for an ornamental fish, for it is very attractive:
Pimelodus tetramerus.

The species has been described in 2006 from Brazil. However, our fish fit perfectly
to the description of the very characteristic coloration of P. tetramerus so there is
only very little doubt left about the identity. P. tetramerus becomes about 20 cm
long.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/pimelodus-tetramerus-doppel.jpg>

In contrast to many other species of catfish, Pimelodus are quite active during
daytime. At least juveniles are strictly schooling fish, so one should buy at least
5, better 10 or more specimens. The catfish are completely peaceful against any
tankmate. However, too small other fish will be eaten. Regarding feeding and the
water parameters Pimelodus are completely undemanding and thus even beginners in the
hobby can enjoy these beautiful fish.

For our customers: the animals have code 279002 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Pimelodus: from ancient Greek, means "the fatty". tetramerus: from ancient
Greek, means "devided in four parts", referring to the pattern. pictus: Latin, means
"painted". ornatus: Latin, means "decorated".

Suggestion of a common name: Silverstripe angel catfish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

Literature: F. R. V. Ribeiro & C. A. S. de Lucena (2006): Nova espécie de Pimelodus
(Siluriformes, Pimelodidae) dos rios Tapajós e Tocantins, Brasil. Iheringia, Ser.
Zool., Porto Alegre 96 (3): 321-327

  _____

Apistogramma gephyra

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/apistogramma-gephyra-mann1.jpg>

This pretty blackwater Apistogramma is imported only very occasionally. Now we were
able to manage one of these rare imports again. The fish originates from Brazil where
it is found in the central Rio Negro and lower Rio Branco basins. A. gephyra looks
quite similar to A. agassizii and its aquarium maintenance is comparable to that
species which is well known in the hobby.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/apistogramma-gephyra-mann2.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/apistogramma-gephyra-mann3.jpg>

The yellow face masc of the male is very obvious in the population we currently have
in stock. Females stay much smaller than the males as usual in Apistogramma.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/apistogramma-gephyra-frau1.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/apistogramma-gephyra-frau2.jpg>

For our customers: the fish has code 619502 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Apistogramma: ; gephyra: after the ancient Greek word for "bridge", which
refers to the intermediate position of the species between Apistogramma agassizii and
A. pertensis.

Suggestion of a common name: Yellow Head Apistogramma

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Corydoras cf. bicolor

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/corydoras-cf-bicolor.jpg>

This beautiful new Cory reached us from Brazil. The black- and-white pattern looks
like in C. brevirostris whereas the bright orange-yellow mark on the back (right in
front of the dorsal fin) looks like in the very similar species C. bicolor. However,
both species do not appear in Brazil as far as it is known. Thus it is quite possible
that our fish represents a new species.

May that be as it is: in any case the new Cory is a real eyecatcher. The best aquaria
for fish of that type contain fine white sand as bottom and deep brown water from
humin acids (peat filtration etc.). In tanks like these it is a fantastic look to see
brightly shining triangles dance through the water as if they were moved by the hands
of a ghost.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2020%2020
11/corydoras-cf-bicolor2.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 224084 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Corydoras: from ancient greek, means "with helmet and spear". This refers to
the strong armor and fin spines. bicolor: Latin, means "two-coloured". brevirostris:
Latin, menas "with a short snout".

Suggestion of a common name: Shooting Star Corydoras

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover96engl.jpg>

Issue 96 of AqualogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>