[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter May 6th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 8 de Junho de 2011 - 23:09:30 WEST

Sem comentários, para ser mais rápido.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter May 6th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Pristobrycon striolatus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2018%2020
11/pristobrycon-striolatus-man.jpg>

For the first time ever we succeeded in importing this unique species of piranha from
Brazil. Currently the piranhas are placed in 5 genera (Catoprion, Pristobrycon,
Pygocentrus, Pygopristis, and Serrasalmus). However, there is some discussion about
this classifaction, because intermediate forms have been observed. The species
currently placed in Pristobrycon are quite discoid fish as adults and have
comparetively small heads. But the juveniles look quite different and one might think
to see another, distinct species or even another genus.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2018%2020
11/pristobrycon-striolatus-fra.jpg>

Maximum length reported in P. striolatus is about 15 cm. Our largest fish are a bit
smaller, but the sexes can be already become determined by the shape of the anal fin.
In males, this fin is clearly hooked, whereas in females the anal fin has a straight
border.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2018%2020
11/pristobrycon-striolatus-po.jpg>

In the photo tank the pair was quite peaceful, but we nevertheless keep these
precious fish solitary; for although almost nothing is known for sure about this rare
species it is said to be a fin eater in the wild. In the aquarium they feed readily
on any usual piranha food.

For our customers: the fish have code 292845 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Pristobrycon: from ancient Greek, means "saw-Brycon"; Brycon is another
genus of tetra, the word pristis (saw) refers to the saw-like arranged scales on the
keel of the breast. striolatus: means "dashed".

Suggestion of a common name: Cheetah piranha

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

A new sport of paradise fish

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2018%2020
11/makropode-blue-redstripeM.jpg>

The paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis) was the first exotic species of ornamental
fish at all and is kept and bred continously in aquaria since 1869. Until today it
can be considered to be one of the most beautiful and interesting fish. Moreover it
is very easy to keep and breed.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2018%2020
11/makropode-blue-redstripeF.jpg>

There are only very few sports of the paradise fish. The best known is the blue sport
which was developed in the 1950ies. Albinos exist much longer already. Only in the
1990ies a stripeless, deep red sport was developed by the breeders of ornamental
fish.

For the first time ever we now received stripeless blue fish which have a broad red
band on the flanks.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2018%2020
11/makropode-blue-redstripeK.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 425813 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Macropodus: ancient Greek, means "with great fins". opercularis: the term
refers to the dark spot on the operculum.

Suggestion of a common name: Blue Flame Paradise Fish; trade name: Paradise Fish
"Blue/Red band"

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Serrasalmus eigenmanni Peru

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2018%2020
11/serrasalmus-eigenmanni.jpg>

This medium sized and very interesting piranha (maximum length reported is around 20
cm) was imported from Peru. This is worth mentioning, as so far S. eigenmanni has
been "only" reported from Brazil, the Guyanas, and Venezuela. Our determination bases
on the work by Jégu & Santos (1988). Following these authors, the species-specific
characters of S. eigenmanni are as follows: a dark spot behind the opercle; a dark
base of the caudal fin; a very deep body; a short snout. However, due to the well
known difficulties regarding piranha systematics it might be necessary one day to
realize that our fish might belong to another species.

Serrasalmus eigenmanni belongs to a group of piranhas that live solitary and feed in
nature mainly on the fins of other fish. In captivity it is no problem to feed the
fish with any other meat, but it is of course not possible to keep S. eigenmanni in
community with other fish.

For our customers: the animals have code 291604 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Serrasalmus: from Latin, means "salmon with a saw". Refers to the saw-like
arranged scales along the keel of the breast. eigenmanni: dedication name.

Common name: Eigenmann´s piranha

Jégu, M. & G. M. dos Santos (1988): Le genre Serrasalmus (Pisces, Serrasalmidae) dans
le bas Tocantins (Brésil, Parà), avec la description d'une espèce nouvelle, S. geryi,
du bassin Araguaia-Tocantins. Revue d'Hydrobiologie Tropicale v. 21 (no. 3): 239-274.

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover96engl.jpg>

Issue 96 of AqualogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>