[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 13th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quinta-Feira, 16 de Setembro de 2010 - 21:36:16 WEST

Olá a todos,

Tal como prometido aqui vai mais uma actualização.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 13th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Potamotyphlos kaupii

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2032%2020
10/potamotyphlus%20kaupii%20totale-ag.jpg>

Most people interested in natural history know two orders within the class Amphibia,
namely the Anura (frogs, toads etc.) and the Caudata (news, salamanders etc.). Much
less people know that there is a third order, the Gymnophiona (caecilians), although
this order has more than 180 species. However, most of them are nocturnal and live
burrowed in the ground, so one hardly ever comes in touch with them. If it happens,
the caecilians are often taken wrongly as gigantic earthworms.

Some genera of the Gymnophiona live exlusively in freshwater. One of them,
Typhlonectes natans from Colombia, has even managed to become a quite popular
aquarium inhabitant, usually sold as "blind eel".

>From a biologist´s point of view the caecilians are very interesting creatures. The
land living, egglaying species take brood care, and the water living, livebearing
species develope a kind of umbilical cord, by which the unborn are fed by the mother.
There are males and females in caecilians, the males have a kind of penis which is
used for the internal fertalization.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2032%2020
10/potamotyphlus%20kaupii%20kopfunterseite-ag.jpg>

In contrast to Typhlonectes natans, which is uniform black, Potamotyphlos kaupii has
a quite attractive colour pattern. Our specimens originate from Peru. So far we were
able to import only a few specimens. They proofed to be much more sensitive than
their black cousin from Colombia. Especially they were quite sensitive for fungus
infection of the skin. However, once they are settled they are as easy to keep as T.
natans. The eyeless animals orientate by the scent and so they find their prey (in
the aquarium mainly frozen food like bloodworm). It is very important to cover the
tank absolutely tight.

For our customers: the animals have code 281724 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Potamotyphlus: from ancient Greek, "potamon" meaning "river" and "typhlos"
meaning "blind", eg "blind river dweller". kaupii: dedication name. Typhlnectes:
ancient Greek, "typhlos" meaning "blind", "nectes" meaning "swimmer", eg "blind
swimmer". natans: Latin, meaning "swimming, drifting".

Suggestion of a common name: Kaup´s caecilian, zebra caecilian

Text & photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Barbus candens

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2032%2020
10/barbus%20candens%20mann-ag.jpg>

Three very similar species of dwarfish barbs occur in the central Congo basin. All of
them become only 3-4 cm long. Additional forms are already known, but not researched
scientifically yet. The three described species are B. candens, B. hulstaerti, and B.
papilio. They live in shadowy brooks that have a acidic (pH 5.0 - 5.7) and cool
(21-23°C) water.

Barbus candens, the one we were able to import recently, is the largest of the three,
it becomes about 4 cm long. It is a very beautiful and peaceful species that fits
perfectly for nano tanks. As in all members of the group, males may be recognized by
the coloured dorsal fin, which is hyaline in females.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2032%2020
10/barbus%20candens%20frau-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the species has code 100694 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Barbus: Latin, means "the bearded one", referring to the barbels. candens:
Latin, means "shining, glittering, white gleaming"; hulstaerti: dedication name;
papilio: Latin, means "Butterfly".

Suggestion of a common name: Blacknose Butterfly Barb

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover91.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/inhalt91e.jpg>

Issue No 91 of TERRALOGnews, English version, is now available as free download via
http://aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News91e.pdf. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>