[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 20th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quinta-Feira, 16 de Setembro de 2010 - 21:38:01 WEST

E mais uma…

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 20th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Danio aesculapii

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/danio%20aesculapii%20mann2-ag.jpg>

Back in 2005 we were able to import this pretty species from Burma for the first
time. This appeared under the provisional trade name Danio sp. "Pantherinus" (see
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/danio-sp-pantherinus-_de_699.html>
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/danio-sp-pantherinus-_de_699.html). In 2009 the
species was formally described as Danio aesculapii.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/danio%20aesculapii%20paar-ag.jpg>

It was named after the ancient Greek god of medicine, whose regalia were a stick with
one or two snakes wrapped around it. The colour pattern of D. aesculapii is referred
to as snakeskin pattern, thus the name. Am I allowed to give the weisenheimer?
Thanks! The symbol of Aesculapius probably does not show snakes on a bar at all, but
the Guinea worm wrapped on a stick. The Guinea worm (Dracunculus medinensis) is a
parasite of humans who infect themselves via drinking water containing infected small
crustaceans. The male Guinea worm dies after mating,but the female lives on and
builds up a boil with the size of a gidgeon’s egg in the skin. When this boil gets
contact with water, the very thin skin in its center brakes off and the female Guinea
worm protudes a part of its body to release larvae in the water.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/danio%20aesculapii%20mann1-ag.jpg>

The up to one meter long but only 1.5 mm thick Guinea worm can be removed only by
wrapping it about 10 cm per day (not more, otherwise there is danger of disruption
and a heavy bacerial infection) on a stick. This disease is or was (it seems to be
almost extinct nowadays) far spread in tropical Africa and Asia, but unknown in
ancient Greece. So the symbol of the healer showing a stick wrapped with Guinea worm
was mistaken as the bar with snakes. This should just be noted in the margin....

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Trachycorystes "White Spots"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/trachycorystes%20rechte%20seite-ag.jpg>

The genus Trachycorystes currently comprises three described species. In the aquarium
hobby so far only T. trachycorystes appeared. For this up to 45 cm long species,
please see http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/archiv.php?news_id=203

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/trachycorystes%20attacke-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/trachycorystes%20in%20netz%20verbissen-ag.jpg>

Recently we received a 25-30 cm long specimen from Peru with an unique coloration:
white, irregular spots on both sides of the body! It is unknown to us if this fish
represents another species than T. trachycorystes or a mere colour variety of the
latter.
When I intended to photograph the animal, I tried to bring it in a better position by
using an aquarium net. Now something exceptional happened: the fish attacked the net
and bit in it! This hardly ever happens in freshwater fish, one can find it very
seldom in predatory tetras or in cichlids taking care for their brood. But even this
is quite rare.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/trachycorystes%20linke%20seite-ag.jpg>

The teeth of Trachycorystes are placed in ribbon-like pads and are small, but
pointed; so a bite can be quite painful.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/trachycorystes%20maul-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish has code 297958 on our stocklist. Please note that we
eclusively supply the wholesale trade.
Lexicon: Trachycorystes: from ancient Greek, trachys meaning "rough" and korystes
meaning "one armed with a helmet".

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Rivulus retrocaudatus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/rivulus%20retrocaudatus%20mann-ag.jpg>

The killifishes of the genus Rivulus represent the most species-rich genus of New
World Killis. We received recently beautiful R. retrocaudatus from Peru, which are
unique due to their amazing orange anal and caudal fins, as well as due to their
orange scales along the body.

Rivulus are not annual fish at all, but live as long as any fish of comparable size,
may it be a tetra, livebearer or anything else. A very special thing in Rivulus is
their tendency to travel over land when the weather is humid enough for that. In the
wild, they jump from plant to plant, attaching their body on wet leaves. If they try
to do the very same in a living room, this is usually fatal, so it is absolutely
necessary to cover the tank. The fish will find even the smallest opening!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2033%2020
10/rivulus%20retrocaudatus%20peru-ag.jpg>

The sexes of the population we were able to import, are not so easy to distinguish
yet, as the fish have a size of only 3-4 cm (maximum size of the species is around 6
cm) and thus all of them show the typical Rivulus-spot on the basis of the caudal,
which is so typical for adult females. However, the males can already be recognized
by the red border of the anal fin, which is completely orange in females. Adult males
will get a blueish body, loose the caudal spot and develope a very chharcteristic
spade-shaped caudal fin, which stays round in females.

For our customers: the fish have code 344063 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Rivulus: Latin, means "small brook". Probably the name was given, because
the describer was told the fish live in brooks. retrocaudatus: Latin, retro means
"backwards", caudatus means "tailed", referring to the characteristic shape of the
caudal fin.

Suggestion of a common name: Orange finned Rivulus, Spadefin Rivulus

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover91.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/inhalt91e.jpg>

Issue No 91 of TERRALOGnews, English version, is now available as free download via
http://aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News91e.pdf. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>