[Cyprinodontiformes] Projecto Internacional de Goodeiídeos (11)

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sábado, 25 de Abril de 2009 - 01:18:26 WEST

Prezados colegas,

No seguimento das dez anteriores mensagens sobre este assunto, aqui fica o
registo da continuação do diálogo até aqui desenvolvido.
Hoje reproduzem-se duas reacções à mensagem dada a conhecer em Projecto
Internacional de Goodeiídeos (9).
Nunca é demais alertar-vos para o facto de que, dentro das disponibilidades
de tempo livre, será sempre possível fazer-se alguma tradução se necessário.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Martin Ravn Tversted
Enviada: sexta-feira, 2 de Janeiro de 2009 13:06
Para: Michael Koeck; Ivan Dibble; Martin Ravn Tversted; Joel Healy; Miguel
Andrade; Colin Grist; Omar Dominguez; Brian Zimmerman; Miguel Zapater; Matt
Naumann; Alain Grioche; Gasper Gomboc; Guenther Schleussner; Gunter
Teichmann; Guenter-Ellenberg; Horváth Balázs; Kleine Horst; Harro
Hieronimus; Anton Weissenbacher; Dietmar Kunath; Erwin Radax; Patrick C.
Schmitz; Roman Slaboch; Kees de Jong; Stefan Hertwig; Jen Nightingale, Jonny
Rudd
Assunto: AW: Michael Koeck's idea - more developments

I haven't really been partipating in this discussion so far. I'm not sure my
view is important but here it goes. It was my impression that the initial
ideas from Michael was to organize both the professional and the private
goodeid community. Private organisation alone has failed so far.
However, I do think that if the various Zoos and Aquariums could cooperate
with us breeders in an organized way, they will find us useful. Let's face
the fact that the total amount of zoos and aquariums cannot save all
threatened species on earth. It's both a matter of money, space and what the
public is interested in when they come visit.
Among the few really dedicated goodeid breeders you will find an impressive
amount of knowledge on how to breed these fish. You will also find space,
dedication and time.- Many of the species we breed are also very well
documented when it comes to provenance and where the fish have been since
its collection.

The problem is at least two things.

1. the fish has often been kept with other species. I'm not thinking of
crossbreeding here but more about infections that other genera or fish
families could carry.

2. the breeder will loose interest or at least be forced to made another
priority when the almost obligatory divorce or similar event in life comes
by.

Many breeders have kept their fish for 10 - 20 and even 30 years plus so it
is obvious that really dedicated people can be found. But there need to be
made back up plans when other event set in that are out of the individuals
control. And here I think that the close cooperation with zoos and the
national livebearer organization is important.

Did you know that A goslinei have been breed in good numbers in Denmark the
past two years? Did you know that G multiradiatus was breed in good numbers
in Denmark last year indicating that Hubbsina could just as easily be breed
by the same breeder but this fish cannot be found in the hobby?

Martin Tversted