[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter December 30th, 2012

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 18 de Janeiro de 2012 - 23:05:29 WET

Mais um esforço de actualização… o primeiro do dia.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter December 30th, 2012

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Farlowella platorhynchus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2052%2020
11/253875-farlowella-platorhynchus-portrait.jpg>

The needle suckers (Farlowella) belong to the most specialized Loricariids at all.
Their whole life is dedicated to the trick to look like a stick.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2052%2020
11/253875-farlowella-platorhynchus-totale.jpg>

Currently we received fantastic, up to 18 cm long Farlowella platorhynchus from Peru.
There is a lot of variation observable regarding coloration. Males and females can be
distinguished best by a look from the top: males have a much broader head. In
contrast to many other Loricariids, Farlowella are not cave brooding, but spawn open
on the surface of things, quite often on the glass of the tank. Here the male guards
the eggs until the fry hatch.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2052%2020
11/253875-farlowella-platorhynchus-varianz.jpg>

Keeping Farlowella is not difficult, but one has to note some essential things. First
of all, Farlowella are slow feeders. They are used to feed on Aufwuchs in the wild,
and so the keeper has to make sure that the needle suckers get enough food. Tablet
food and frozen Cyclops do very well. Also the gravel should be fine, best sand, for
otherwise the fine food particles vanish too fast in the ground. Finally: please note
that Farlowella are very bad swimmers, so they can become entangled easily in dense
plants etc.. So furnish the tank for Farlowella only neatly arranged.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2052%2020
11/253875-farlowella-platorhynchus-paar.jpg>

For our customers: the animals have code 253875 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Farlowella: dedication name for W. G. Farlow, former professor at Harvard
University, USA. platorhynchus: from ancient Greek, means "with a broad snout".

Suggestion of a common name: Broadsnouted Needle Sucker

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Just in: Apistogramma trifasciata

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2052%2020
11/630002-apistogramma-trifasciata-mann.jpg>

In case this dwarf cichlid would not exist it would be necessary to invent it for the
aquarium hobby. Apistogramma trifasciata is an ideal aquarium inhabitant. The species
stays small - males around 5 cm, females around 4 cm. It is completely undemanding
regarding water chemistry - keeping and breeding is possible even in medium hard and
slight alcalic water - and energy-saving: as the fish inhabits in nature subtropical
regions it is often faced with water temperatures as low as 10°C, so an aquarium
heater is needed only for breeding. Besides all these advantages it is a beautiful
fish and has an interesting behaviour.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2052%2020
11/630002-apistogramma-trifasciata-frau.jpg>

We have imported this nice animal from Paraguay.

Lexicon: Apistogramma: ancient Greek, means "with unreliable line". It is not known
whether the lateral line organ or the pattern is meant. trifasciata: Latin, means
"with three stripes".

Common name: Three-Striped Dwarf Cichlid

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/allgemein/nikolausi5-3-2.jp
g>

We wish all our readers, their families, and all the people that are near and dear to
them a good start in the New Year and a happy and successful year 2012.

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2023%2020
11/cover98.jpg>

AqualogNews No 98 is available as a free download (full English version) on
www.aqualog.de. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/allgemein/ag.jpg>

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>