[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter September 9th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Terça-Feira, 27 de Setembro de 2011 - 22:01:15 WEST

Caros colegas,

Hoje há camarão… e mais uma actualização :-)

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter September 9th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Channa sp. Laos Fireback

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2036%2020
11/409394%20-channa-sp-laos-fireback1.jpg>

For the first time ever we received this splendid snakehead, which obviously
represents a species unknown to science so far. I reminds one strongly to the far
spread and variety rich species C. gachua, but the "Fireback" is much bigger,
reaching 15 -20 cm, it lacks the stripes in the pectoral fins, which are so
characteristical for gachua and of course the "Fireback" has the broad, bright orange
seams in the dorsal and the caudal fin that are responsible for its popular name.

Probably this species is - like all members of the C. gachua relationship - a
mouthbrooder with biparental broodcare. Males and females can be distinguished best
by a look from above. The males have a much broader head than the females.

With the exception of the breeding season these snakeheads are strictly solitary fish
and keeping them together with other fish - it does not matter whether these fish are
conspecifics or belong to a completely different group of fish - is always a high
risk. As long as the "Fireback" is kept in indoor tanks it needs no additional
heater. The temperature should be raised only for breeding. Channa sp. Laos Fireback
are large, predatory fish that need substantial food, like feeder fish, earthworms,
mealworms, crickets and so on.

For our customers: the fish have code 409394 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Channa: ancient Greek, means "snapper", probably referring to the
airbreathing. gachua: after a native name for the fish in Bengal.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Cynopotamus atratoensis

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2036%2020
11/251346-cynopotamus-atratoensis1.jpg>

It is a very rare occasion that predatory tetras of the genus Cynopotamus are
imported, due to their sensibilty against stress and transportation. So we are
extremely happy and prous that we have been able to manage an importation of not less
than eight specimens from Venezuela. The fish have a size of 18-22 cm and are very
healthy.

Cynopotamus atratoensis attains a total length of about 35 cm. Together with C.
essequibenis, C. magdalenae, and C. venezuelae it belongs to a group of externally
very similar fish that can be distinguished only on the basis of scale counts, finray
counts etc..  Especially C. atartoensis and C. venezuelae can hardly be
distinguished. However, C. venezuelae has slightly less rays in the anal fin, so our
specimens probably belong to the species C. atratoensis.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2036%2020
11/251346-cynopotamus-atratoensis2.jpg>

Cynopotamus are predatory tetras that feed on other, small fish. Against conspecifics
they are - at least in our fishhouse -  peaceful. Hardness and pH of the water are of
little importance, but it seems that the fish prefer slightly higher temperatures
than usual: 26-28°C.

For our customers: the fish have code 251346 on our stocklist. Please note the we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Cynopotamus: from ancient Greek, means "river dog". atratoensis: after the
type locality, the Rio Atrato in Colombia. essequibensis: after the type locality,
the Essequibo river in Guyana. magdalenae: after the type locality: the Rio Magdalena
in Colombia. venezuelae: after the type locality, Venezuela.

Siggestion of a common name: Doublespot  Riverdog

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Neocaridina heteropoda "Rili"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2036%2020
11/484208-neocaridina-heteropoda-rili.jpg>

The Cherry red shrimp belongs to the most popular dwarf shrimps in the hobby. Keeping
and breeding is very easy and can be done even by beginners. The tiny animals produce
such a lot of offspring that the species is sometimes even used as a feeder animal.
Neocaridina heteropoda originates from East Asia (China, Japan, Taiwan). The
specimens that were imported for the first time for the aquarium hobby originated
probably from Taiwan.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2036%2020
11/484208-neocaridina-heteropoda-rili2.jpg>

Taiwan is also the place where the latest sport of N. heteropoda comes from. The
pretty red-and-white shrimps are sold under the names of "kili-shrimp" or
"kohaku.shrimp". We have the variety now in stock for the first time. The kili shrimp
is obviously pure breeding although every individual looks a bit different in respect
of the white and red parts. This makes a tank with those dwarf shrimps very
attractive to look at.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2036%2020
11/484208-neocaridina-heteropoda-rili3.jpg>

For our customers: the animals have code 484208 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Neocaridina: means "new caridina". Caridina is another genus of shrimp.
heteropoda: means "with different types of feet".

Suggestion of a common name: Koi dwarf shrimp

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News97grau-gb.jpg

Issue 97 of the NEWS can be downloaded for free here: www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/>   Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>