[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter December 9th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sábado, 24 de Dezembro de 2011 - 00:14:13 WET

Caros colegas,

Nesta edição uma curiosidade e uma antiga jóia da aquariofilia… Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae… selvagem !?!?

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter December 9th, 2011

  <http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_small.jpg>

Tatia sp. Tahuayo River

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2049%202011/295934-tatia-sp-portrait.jpg>

We received this pretty new species currently from Peru in small numbers. The Tahuayo river, a tributary of the Amazon river, was given as collecting site. Our specimens are 10-12 cm long. They cannot be assigned for sure to any known species. Obviously it is a close relative of Tatia nigra from the central Amazon basin, but this species is known so far from preserved specimens only, so we prefer not to put a scientific name on our new Tatia at the moment.

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2049%202011/295934-tatia-sp-totale.jpg>

Keeping this new species is comparable to other Tatia. Like in all Tatia species the males have a modified anal fin that allows an internal fetilization. So the females spawn fertilized eggs in absence of the males. Many species of Tatia have successfully been bred under aquarium conditions, so hopefully this will also happen in this pretty and large new species.

For our customers: the fish have code 295934 on our stocklist. Please note that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Tatia: Tatia: dedicated to Charles Tate Regan, who was ichthyologist at the British Museum. nigra: Latin, means "black".

Suggestion of a common name: Golden Caparison Tatia

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae WILD

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2049%202011/269314-moenkhausia-doppel.jpg>

There are species of fish that are so commonly seen in the trade that we sometimes forget to look at them with the eyes of a child. One of these species is the red eye tetra, one of the top classics among the ornamental fish species They can be found in any pet shop around the World. Now we had the rare occasion to obtain wild collected ones from  Paraguay. Usually these fish that appear in the trade are tank reared. So we took a closer look and - be honest! - aren' t they real beauties?

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2049%202011/269314-moenkhausia-solo.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 269314 on our stocklist. Please note that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexikon: Moenkhausia: dedication name for W. J. Moenkhaus, a friend of Eigenmann, the describer of the genus. sanctaefilomenae: refers to the collection site of the type specimens ("lagoon near St. Filomena at the Parnahyba").

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Schismatogobius ampluvinculus

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2049%202011/454812-schismatogobius1.jpg>

We received once more this cute goby from Taiwan. Especially when it is in the right mood it looks extreme pretty due to its contrasting black-and-white coloration. One of the generic characteristics of Schismatogobius is the fact that they have an individual coloration: there are not even two specimens with the exact same coloration. But their ability of changing the coloration is also very spectacular. It is sometimes hard to believe that all fish belong to the very same species.

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2049%202011/454812-schismatogobius2.jpg>

Adults of Schismatogobius are restricted to fresh water. Here they live usually in larger groups in shallow parts of running water bodies. When disturbed they bury themselves very fast by wriggling moves. The species S. ampluvinculus is known to inhabit pebbly ground.

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2049%202011/454812-schismatogobius3.jpg>

Sadly so far no successful breeding report appeared on one of the about 10 Schismatogobius species, although they spawn quite readily. The extreme tiny larvae develop probably only in marine environment. When keeping S. ampluvinculus it is very important to keep in mind that it is a subtropical species and should therefore be kept under temperate conditions. Feeding is unproblematic: they readily take frozen and live food.

For our customers: the fish has code 454812 on our stocklist. Please note that we exclusively supply the wholesale market.

Suggestion of a common name: Domino goby

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Septaria porcellana

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2049%202011/482154-SEPTARIA-ag.jpg>

Once more we have received snails of the genus Septaria (Freshwater Limpet). These odd freshwater snails live in the same way as the Common Limpet (Patella vulgata) from the Atlantic coast. Like these marine snails, Septaria also have a marine larval phase. So there is no danger of unwanted mass-reproduction in the home aquarium.

Freshwater Limpets feed on aufwuchs which they preferentially feed from the panes of the tank. It is very important not to clean the side and back panes of the tank and to illuminate the tank strongly, otherwise the snails get in danger of starving. It is possible to feed the limpets with aufwuchs growing on stones, the keeper cultivates in a garden pond, but other food is only rarely taken.

The Freshwater Limpet sucks extremely strong on the underground and it is very difficult to get it off without hurting it seriously. This is a proved trick to get it off: stick a fingernail (for example from the forefinger) under the proximal end of the shell. Now the limpet will try to suck as strong as it can. But after some seconds it will lose a bit again in order to get free from the annoying thing under its shell. This is the moment you can move the limpet with smooth pressure over the pane and pick it up from the pane's top.

For our customers: the animals have code 482154 on our stocklist. Please note that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Septaria: a cement-like mass that was used in ancient Rome in the building and construction industry. porcellana: means "like porcelain".

Suggestion of a common name: Freshwater limpet

Text & photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2044%202011/JB2012.JPG>

The Calendar Yearbook appears annually and reflects the imports and breeder´s activities for aquarium and terrarium animals of the preceding year.
Renowned importers, exporters, and breeders of aquarium and terrarium animals have generously supplied wonderful animals as they did already for the yearbooks 2008-2011.

Freshwater fish, marine fish, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates – the year 2011 was colourful and you are able to recall it week for week with the Calendar Yearbook 2012.

700 colour photos, 288 pages, dinA5 hardcover

€ 19,90

animalbook Art.Nr.: 13312
ISBN: 978-3-939759-25-6

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>  to get weekly updates !     <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/allgemein/ag.jpg>

  _____

  <http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question, comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>