[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter July 31rst, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Domingo, 12 de Setembro de 2010 - 00:41:01 WEST

Prezados colegas,

Aqui vai o número do passado dia 31 de Julho da " newsletter " da Glaser.

Nos próximos dias, seguem os restantes.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter July 31rst, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Apistogramma cacatuoides WILD

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2030%2020
10/apistogramma%20cactuoides%20mann%20wf-ag.jpg>

Some species of fish are very popular in the aquarium hobby. Many of them are kept
only as sports or breeding forms that do not exist in the wild and most aquarists are
completely unaware how the wild form looks like. One of these species is the very
popular dwarf cichlid Apistogramma cacatuoides. The species occurs in the Amazon
basin of Brazil, Colombia, and Peru between 69°W and 71°W and is imported only
occasionally.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2030%2020
10/apistogramma%20cactuoides%20frau%20wf-ag.jpg>

The wonderful A. cacatuoides we currently have in stock have been imported from Peru.
Although they look rather drab compared with their selective-bred cousins and their
mainly red finneage, the wild ones impress with the stout body and gorgeous dorsal
fin. By the way: the black clusters of pigment are not inherited, but can be found in
wild collected specimens only. It is said that they result from recovered diseases in
the wild. May that be as it is, it is a fact that the black clusters are completely
harmless.

For our customers: the fish have code 617204 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Apistogramma: ancient Greek, means "with unreliable line". It is not known
wether the lateral line organ or the pattern is meant. cacatuoides: means "looks like
a cockatoo". The author of the species was reminded by the dorsal fin of the males in
the hood of an cockatoo.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Parotocinclus jumbo, LDA 25, Pitbull Pleco

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2030%2020
10/parotocinclus%20jumbo%20mann2.jpg>

The import season for this charming algae killer has started. Parotocinclus jumbo is
both one of the largest species of the genus (maximum size is reported to be around
6-7 cm!) and one of the prettiest. Astonishingly there is so far no report in the
aquarium literature on the very obvious sexual dichromatism found in this species.
Males get wonderful shining, blueish-green saddles on the back which are missing in
females. Besides this the females are much more plump than the males.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2030%2020
10/parotocinclus%20jumbo%20frau-ag.jpg>

There are some spawning reports on the species. It seems to have an positive effect
if a rainy season is simulated as it is found in many Corydoras species. Practically
speaking this means large waterchanges with cooler and softer water than the water
used for regular keeping. However, the temperature difference should not be too big,
about 5°C are suitable.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2030%2020
10/parotocinclus%20jumbo%20paar-ag.jpg>

The fish does not practice brood care in any way. The eggs are sticky and become
attached on the glasses or tank equipment - again here are many parallels to
Corydoras. It is reported that raising the spawn is rather difficult and that the
eggs tend to get fungus.

For our customers: the fish have code 26480-LDA 025-3 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Parotocinclus: ancient Greek, means "alike Otocinclus"; Otocinclus is
another genus of catfish. jumbo: refers to the unusual size of the species compared
with other members of the genus.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Corydoras sp. Neon Goldstripe, CW 10

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2030%2020
10/corydoras%20goldstripe%20cw10-ag.jpg>

There are many attractive and desirable species of Corydoras, but one would hardly
describe many of the about 300 species known so far as colourful. One of the very few
really colourful Corydoras is the scientifically still undescribed species Corydoras
sp. Neon Goldstripe, that we were able to import again in larger numbers now from
Peru. The fish is known in the trade also as "Peru-Goldstripe" or under the code CW
10.

The splendid fish reach a length of about 6 cm. They are absolutely peaceful
schooling fish which can be kept even by beginners. However, the fantastic shining
stripe over the back looks best in so-called black water. Successful breeding has
been reported quite often, but the species is not very productive. The eggs are
moreover quite small.

For our customers: the fish have code 221073 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Corydoras: from ancient greek, means "with helmet and spear". This refers to
the strong armor and fin spines.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover91.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/inhalt91e.jpg>

Issue No 91 of TERRALOGnews, English version, is now available as free download via
http://aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News91e.pdf. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>