[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter February 19th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sábado, 6 de Março de 2010 - 18:13:01 WET

E, finalmente, a última mensagem em atraso de hoje.

Amanhã há mais ;)

Um abraço

Miguel

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter February 19th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Templa
te/head1_small.jpg>

Hypoptopoma inexpectatum

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/262244-PORTRAIT.jpg>

The genus Hypoptopoma comprises currently nine accepted species. The nice
fish can be mainly kept like their smaller cousins of the genus Otocinclus.
However, Hypoptopoma reach around 5-10 cm total length. They are very quiet
and peaceful fish that take care for the eggs in a very interesting way,
similiar to Sturisoma. That means the eggs are not spawned in caves, but on
open, mostly vertical, structures.

A typical feature of the genus Hypoptopoma are the eyes which are placed in
a very special way on the head. This eye-position allows the animal to
observe all directions at once: up, down, in front and in back.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/262244-hypoptopoma%20%20inexpectatum%20paraguay%20mann.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/262244-hypoptopoma%20%20inexpectatum%20paraguay%20frau.jpg>

Currently we have received very nice Hypoptopoma inexpectatum from Paraguay.
The fish have deep red eyes. Males can be distinguished from the females by
the hooked tip of the dorsal fin.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/262244-von%20unten.jpg>

For our customers: The fish have code 262244 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale market.

Lexicon: Hypoptopoma: from ancient Greek, means about " with ventraly
flatted cover", which refers to the structure of the operculum.
inexpectatum: Latin, means "unexpected", due the collection site which is
quite apart from those of the other members of the genus known at the time.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Diskus Royal Blue Nhamunda Maracanha

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/731355-ROTER.jpg>

And here comes another fantastic wild collected Discus. Nhamunda discus have
some peculiarities. First of all: many have a high content of red colors in
their basic coloration. Second: in Nhamunda discus exists a sexual
dichromatism and dimorphism. Royal Blue are almost exclusively males,
females are usually categorized as "Brown" or "Blue". Females furthermore
have a more roundish, disc-shaped body and males are rather oval-shaped.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/731355-GELBER.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/731355-GRUPPE.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 731355 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale market.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Tetraodon nigroviridis

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/461603-tetraodon%20nigroviridis%20vietnam.jpg>

This beautiful species is the most commonly traded brackish water
pufferfish. It can reach 15 cm length. However, when the fish are kept in
pure freshwater, they are not that lively and will not grow to their maximum
size.

Currently we have extremely nice specimens from Vietnam in stock. Compared
with the Thai specimens the Vietnamese ones are more variable regarding the
spots on the back. In Thai specimens the spots are usually circle round, in
the Vietnamese they often have an oval shape.

When the fish are fed properly they usually are peaceful against tankmates,
may they belong to the own or to other species. Nevertheless it happens -
like in most puffer species - that single individuals become nasty fin
biters. Luckily this is quite rare in Tetraodon nigroviridis.  Such fin
biters must be kept sepearately they will never give up their behaviour.

For our customers: the fish have code 461603 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Tetraodon: ancient Greek, means "four teeth". nigroviridis: Latin,
means "black and green".

Text & photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Rocio octofasciata

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
207%202010/657002-Rocio%20octofasciata.jpg>

This pretty fish had to survive several changes of its name. Rocio
octofasciata is represented in our tanks since 1904 and until 1972 it was
known as Cichlasoma biocellatum. Then it was discovered that this species is
identical with Cichlasoma octofasciatum and thus the former name became a
synonym. The species also often had to change the generic name. Initially it
was known as Heros, then as Cichlasoma, followed by Nandopsis, and now Rocio
seems to be the valid genus. However, since the roaring twenties the fish is
known in the hobby under the very same popular name: as
Jack-Dempsey-cichlid.
Jack Dempsey (1895-1983) was one of the most popular boxers ever and held
the world heavyweight title from 1919 to 1926. It was his aggressive style
and his punshing power that made him so popular and these were
characteristics the hobbyists also saw in our cichlid. But one has to keep
in mind that in those days a 6o-cm-tank was regarded as a large tank. Most
aquarists had only much smaller tanks. In such small enclosures the
Jack-Dempsey-cichlid really can be an unpleasant guy. However, in the large
tanks of present days Rocio octofasciata is not more aggressive than other
cichlids of comparable size.

The splendidly colored species originates from Central America, where it
occurs in South Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras. Our fish are
aquarium strains of unknown origin. These fish are openbrooders, they
perform a biparental broodcare. Males may reach up to 20 cm, females up to
18 cm total length, but sexual fertility is reached with 8 cm and 6 cm
length, respectively.

By the way: the species should not be confused with the "Blue Dempsey", see
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/cichlasoma-nandopsis-octofasciatum-blue-demp
sey_de_1032.html

For our customers: the fish have code 657002 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Cichlasoma: from ancient Greek, means "with the body of a Cichla".
Cichla is another genus of cichlid. biocellatum: Latin, means "with two
eyespots". octofasciatum, octofasciata: Latin, means "with eight bands".
Heros: ancient Greek, means "hero". It is not known, why this name was
chosen. Nandopsis: means "similar to Nandus". Nandus is another genus of
fish. Rocio: this is the name of the describer´s wife.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage
<http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>  to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Templa
te/foot1_small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to
unsubscribe this newsletter or if you want to change your email address,
please do it on our newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in
total or parts is only allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH.
If you have any question, comment or inspiration, please contact us under
info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE
113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are
subject to the copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise
indicated. Any duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast
and reproduction or transmission of the contents without written approval
from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie
<http://www.aspiria.de>

Nenhum vírus encontrado nessa mensagem recebida.
Verificado por AVG - www.avgbrasil.com.br
Versão: 9.0.730 / Banco de dados de vírus: 271.1.1/2726 - Data de
Lançamento: 03/06/10 07:39:00