[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter June 26th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Domingo, 27 de Junho de 2010 - 22:52:37 WEST

Caros colegas,

Eis algumas raridades mais da Glaser.

Apreciem, porque mais dia menos dia, haverá com certeza um vivíparo interessante.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter June 26th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Hyphessobrycon cf. agulha JURUA/PERU

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2025%2020
10/hyphessobrycon%20cf%20agulha%20JURUA%20Peru%20paar-ag.jpg>

For the first time ever we were able now to import this beautiful tetra from Peru.
Scientifically H. agulha is known for quite a long time, but it has never become an
aquarium fish so far. In Jaques Géry´s classical work on Characoids of the World even
a complete group of Hyphessobrycon is named after H. agulha. It is defined as "lower
half of the body dark, especially above anal fin; usually a horizontally elongate
humeral spot, more or less united with the asymmetrical, broad band". The H.
agulha-group comprises, besides the name-bearing species, H. peruvianus, H.
loretoensis, H. metae, and H. herbertaxelrodi, which are well known aquarium
inhabitants.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2025%2020
10/hyphessobrycon%20cf%20agulha%20JURUA%20Peru%20mann-ag.jpg>

A conspicuous feature of our fish is the brightly shining spot in the upper part of
the caudal peduncle. Along with the shining upper part of the eye this is a signal
for conspecifics in the dark waters of the natural invironment of the species. If one
keeps the pretty tetra in so-called black-water the effect is really enchanting.

Regarding general keeping of the fish: there is no difference to that of the well
known remaining members of the group.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2025%2020
10/hyphessobrycon%20cf%20agulha%20JURUA%20Peru%20frau-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish has code 255973 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Hyphessobrycon: ancient Greek, means "small Brycon". Brycon is another genus
of tetras. agulha: after a popular name given to the species in the region of the Rio
Madeira, the type locality.

  _____

Rivulus ornatus PERU

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2025%2020
10/rivulus%20ornatus%20mann-ag.jpg>

This tiny jewel among the fishes, which we were able to import from Peru recently,
causes some confusion among taxonomists. It is possible that this fish represents a
still undescribed species and will be named seperatly in the future. May this be as
it wants, we are glad to have this pretty animal in stock once more.

As in all Rivulus species is is necessary to cover the tank absolute tight, otherwise
the fish will end sooner or later on the bottom of the fishroom. If the owner wants
to keep more than one male per tank they should be set in simultaneously, for these
little fish can be quite aggressive against conspecifics.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2025%2020
10/rivulus%20ornatus%20frau-ag.jpg>

Despite its small size these killis can live up to 3 years in the aquarium. Thus they
are not belonging to the short- but to the longliving killifishes!

For our customers: the fish have code 343902 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exculsively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Rivulus: Latin, means "small brook"; this refers to the biotope. ornatus:
Latin, means "decorated".

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Mastacembelus caudiocellatus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2025%2020
10/mastacembelus%20caudiocellatus%20frau-ag.jpg>

Recently we were able to import this pretty spiny eel from Burma for the first time.
It is a rather small (around 20 cm) species with a very contrasting pattern. The
species lives endemically in the Lake Inle region in Burma. Lake Inle has medium hard
water with a slightly alcalic pH. From Lake Inle already many pretty and very
suitable aquarium fish have been imported.

Although the species has been described scientifically in 1893 already it is still
new for the hobby. There are two phenotypes in our specimens. Some fish are larger,
heavier builded and have a very dark coloration, others are smaller, more elongate
and rather brownish. This possibly represents sexual dimorphism. It is - generally
speaking - possible to breed spiny eels in the aquarium. They prefer to spawn in the
roots of swimming plants near the water surface.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2025%2020
10/mastacembelus%20caudiocellatus%20paar-ag.jpg>

When keeping spiny eels it is necessary to offer a number of hiding places as well as
fine sand which enables the fish to burry themselves at least in some parts of the
tank. Mastacembelids are exclusively carnivorous, plants are ignored. The worst that
can happen is that a spiny eel tries to burry itself under a plant. Spiny eels are
generally very peaceful to conspecifics and to other fish. Very small fish, however,
are eaten. Due to the quite small mouth of this spiny eel, other fish from 4-5 cm
upwards are usually safe. Spiny eels are fed with all the usual live and frozen food,
most of them also accept granulated food.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2025%2020
10/mastacembelus%20caudiocellatus%20por-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 426353 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Mastacembelus: ancient Greek, means "the one that throws oneself a bite";
probably it was though that these fish can use their snout like the trunk of an
elephant. This is, however, wrong. caudiocellatus: Latin, means "with an eyespot in
the caudal".

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2021%2020
10/news%2090e.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2021%2020
10/inhlat90e.jpg>

Issue No 90 of AQUALOGnews, English version, is now available as free download via
http://aqualog.de/news/alle_news.htm <http://www.aqualog.de/news/alle_news.htm> .
Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>

Nenhum vírus encontrado nessa mensagem recebida.
Verificado por AVG - www.avgbrasil.com.br
Versão: 9.0.829 / Banco de dados de vírus: 271.1.1/2961 - Data de Lançamento:
06/24/10 19:35:00