[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter December 10th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Domingo, 12 de Dezembro de 2010 - 23:10:33 WET

Caros colegas,

Hoje não há vivíparos na " newsletter " da GLASER mas, como sempre dá para apreciar
algumas raridades.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter December 10th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Omobranchus zebra

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/omobranchus%20zebra-ag.jpg>

Omobranchus belongs to the Blenniidae family, most of which live in marine
environments. Due to their funny behaviour and the generally easy keeping the
blennies are favorite fish of the marine hobbyists. There are only very few species
that settle permanently in fresh or brackish water.

One of the latter is the pretty Omobranchus zebra, which we were able to import now
from India for the very first time. The species has a large distribution along the
coastline of the Indo-West-Pacific, ranging from the Bay of Bengal in the west to
Singapore in the east. The fish are found almost exclusively in brackish and fresh
water, although they are said to tolerate also pure marine water. They breed in the
mangrove area in holes in the bottom. The larvae develop in the sea.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/omobranchus%20zebra2-ag.jpg>

Our specimens have proofed so far to be very lively and healthy, even without adding
salt. The photographed specimens for example stayed about ten days in the photo tank
in pure freshwater to settle themselves and obviously felt very well. Nevertheless we
suggest a slight addition of salt - about 5g/l. For all cases salt is used for a long
time sight we recommend commercially manufactured sea salt for coral fish aquaria.

Males and females have a similar coloration, but the dorsal fin and the lateral spots
are more intensively colored in males. The easiest detectable sexual dimorphism can
be found in the structure of the anal fin. In this fin the male´s anterior four rays
are flattened on the tip. Besides this the males become larger than the females.
There are a lot of additional sexual dimorphisms, we recommend the study of the paper
by Springer & Gomon (1972) for all who have a special interest in these things.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/omobranchus%20zebra3-ag.jpg>

The fish feed readily on all usual types of food for ornamental fishes. In nature,
these fishes are carnivorous and feed on small invertebrates. The maximum size is
around 7 cm. Like all blennies, these fishes defend a small territory, but neither
conspecifics nor tankmates belonging to other species become hurt usually.

For our customers: the fish have code 439742 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Omobranchus: ancient Greek and Latin, means "shoulder gill". zebra: refers
to the pattern of the same-named wild horse.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

Literature: Springer, V. G. & M. F. Gomon (1975): Revision of the blenniid fish genus
Omobranchus with descriptions of three new species and notes on other species of the
tribe Omobranchini. Smithonian contributions to zoology 177.

  _____

Hasemania sp. Red

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/4785%20hasemania%20sp.%20rotflossen-ag.jpg>

This small characin is a very attractive fish and a fast swimmer as well. It belongs
to the Hasemania genus, because it misses the characteristic adipose fin, which is
one of the features that determine characins. Up to now we used to have only one
species belonging to this genus in the hobby, which is the well known silvertip
tetra, Hasemania nana. An exact determination of the new tetra has failed so far.
Even Dr. Géry (France) could not determine this fish from  photos alone. This could
mean that the fish represents a new and undescribed species. The only available
information about its origin is that it may come from Brazil, but no exact location
has been given. There is a clear sexual dichromatism between the genders: the males
have a mood depending colour ranging from orange to dark red of large parts of the
body and the fins. The female, on the other hand, has a yellowish coloration. The
breeding is not very difficult, but the eggs and fry, as with the silvertip tetra,
are very small and the young fish grow relative slowly.

Text: P. u. M. Hoffmann, photo: P. Hoffmann

For our customers: the fish have code 255463 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholsale trade.

Lexicon: Hasemania: dedication name for J. D. Haseman.

Suggestion of a common name: Red fin silvertip tetra

  _____

Discus season!

The season for wild collected discus is running now and we can offer a great number
of marvellous animals, for example from the Nhamunda-Maracanha region (please, see
also http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/diskus-nhamunda-ros-_de_748.html,
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/archiv.php?news_id=100,
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/diskus--nhamunda-ros_de_956.html and
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/archiv.php?news_id=262):

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/731306%20Blue%20Nhamunda%20Maracanha-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/731356%20Royal%20Blue%20Nhamunda%20Maracanha-ag.jpg>

731306 Blue Nhamunda Maracanha, 731356 Royal Blue Nhamunda Maracanha,

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/731365%20Semi-Royal%20Blue%20Nhamunda%20Maracanha-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/731405%20Rose%20Nhamunda%20Maracanha-ag.jpg>

731365 Semi-Royal Blue Nhamunda Maracanha, 731405 Rose Nhamunda Maracanha

For the first time we have wonderful Discus Caiambe in stock. Although these are wild
collected fish, they cannot be assigned properly to the Green or the Brown/Blue
Discus. Some specimens have red dots on the flanks, a phenomenon that can be found in
Green discus also.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/732505%20Caiambe1-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/732505%20Caiambe2-ag.jpg>

732505 Caiambe1, 732505 Caiambe2,

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/732515%20Caiambe%20Few%20Spot-ag.jpg>

732515 Caiambe Few Spot

And last but not least we also have pretty discus from the Rio Aripuana in a
semi-royal selection and a good size in stock.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/735995%20Semi-Royal%20Blue%20Aripuana-ag.jpg>

735995 Semi-Royal Blue Aripuana

(to be continued)

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

New in stock

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2049%2020
10/new%20entry%20kw%2049.jpg>

Dear customers and subscribers of our newsletter,

our weekly importatios regularly content species and varieties we never or only very
occassionally had in stock. Thus they are - at least for us - new. Sadly it is for
different reasons not possible to portray all of them in detail. However, we want to
show you at least some of the most interesting of them by a photograph. Enjoy!

Your Aquarium Glaser Team

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover94%20engl.jp
g>

Issue 94 of AQUALOGnews is now available at www.aqualog.de as a free download. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>