[Cyprinodontiformes] Projecto Internacional de Goodeiídeos (9)

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Terça-Feira, 31 de Março de 2009 - 23:17:52 WEST

Prezados colegas,

No seguimento das oito mensagens anteriores sobre este assunto,
apresento-vos a continuação do diálogo em causa, com a promessa que passarão
a ser enviadas mais mensagens por mês a fim de se actualizar rapidamente o
ponto em que nos encontramos neste momento.
Hoje segue a minha reacção aos acontecimentos relatados até aqui, numa
mensagem enviada no passado dia 1 de Janeiro de 2009.
Nunca é demais alertar-vos para o facto de que, dentro das disponibilidades
de tempo livre, será sempre possível fazer-se a tradução se necessário.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Miguel Andrade
Enviada: quinta-feira, 1 de Janeiro de 2009 20:03
Para: Michael Koeck; Ivan Dibble; Martin Ravn Tversted; Joel Healy; Miguel
Andrade; Colin Grist; Omar Dominguez; Brian Zimmerman; Miguel Zapater; Matt
Naumann; Alain Grioche; Gasper Gomboc; Guenther Schleussner; Gunter
Teichmann; Guenter-Ellenberg; Horváth Balázs; Kleine Horst; Harro
Hieronimus; Anton Weissenbacher; Dietmar Kunath; Erwin Radax; Patrick C.
Schmitz; Roman Slaboch; Kees de Jong; Stefan Hertwig; Jen Nightingale, Jonny
Rudd
Assunto: Michael Koeck's idea - more developments

Dear friends,

For all of you as well as for yours, allow me to express my best greetings
for a successful New Year.
May 2009 bring you and your families' prosperity, happiness, and good
health.
I confess my surprise by a number of the details made known on this first
shared exchange of information between Ivan Dibble, Harro Hieronimus and
Colin Grist.
To become aware of some of these facts had overcome my best expectations.
Thank you for share it with us gentleman.
Prior to make light about any decision concerning which direction Michael
Koek’s plan can be eventually put into action, or about who should take the
guidelines whereas he is not able to joint us, I believe we can afford to
have, on this dialogue platform, an interesting tool to achieve anything
valuable with reference to Goodeids in particular.
While expressing my concerns with reference to these species I had in mind
the news broaden at the Internet, the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species or
the reported situation in my own country, and never the remarkable actions
already going on to preserve some of these species.
While reading several of your statements I become aware of some good news,
but these details haven’t dramatically changed my concerns.
I still believe that it would be important to start some sort of an
International Goodeids Project, « a group of private keepers, zoos,
societies and other organisation’s who all have the interest of the Goodeids
at heart », in the words of Michael Koeck.
Let’s keep in mind and consider not only a mere fish lovers association but
something  that « would offer species and stock surplus that one may be
looking for », but, above all, « a list that crosses borders, a collection
of determined members that are prepared to look further than the boundaries
of a simple society ».
The simple fact that we are all in contact today is a good open for
something original, like « a Genus coordination, which deals with stock
lists and requests concerning supply and demand of individual species », and
not a simple discussion list.
At my website you can read something about an identical suggestion made by
me, which was precisely the main justification for that Internet mission
took place exactly two years ago.
The so called PGA initiative intended to face a few local problems with
livebearer Cyprinodotiformes in the hobby, but at a national level in
particular even if it was an open programme for any person around the world.
Unfortunately no one has embraced that idea so far.
I am not qualified for any of the Michael’s suggestions ( literature
coordinator, logistics coordinator, and so on ), but my determination to
work with you and for an project like this is noteworthy.
As time is running, more than ever for Goodeid fish, let’s take advantage on
this channel of communication.
We know already some opinions like the one from Ivan Dibble, about such an
organisation, and the " summary " sent by Michael Koeck last October; but
please feel free, if you don’t mind to share your view, to answer the
questions listed next :

a) What is your judgement concerning a voluntary international solid
network, mostly to share information about Goodeid fish species kept out of
the original habitat ( ex situ ) ?

b) Could such network have a stock coordination to evaluate captivity
collection circumstances, species by species, at any moment, and release
recommendations ?

c) In your personal opinion, is there any dilemma or difficulty to accept
stock recommendations from an international credible “ management “ group,
even concerning your own fish collection ?

d) Do you see any inconvenience in relation to the cooperation between
private people ( hobbyists ), zoos, public aquariums, institutes and
societies ? ( as a general rule )

Changing views about these questions could represent a potential start for
something.
After a global idea about the issue “ what “ we could than begin to discuss
the issue “ how “.
Questions a) to d) are only my mere contribution for opening the issue “
what “.
You can go further and put in to discussion other important core facts based
on Michael’s plan or even at your own ideas.
We have highly competent people on this e-mail address list, with an
outstanding experience on endangered fish species conservation, who could
share with the rest of us some important points of view about Michael
Koeck's idea, according to their own experience.
I hope later today to have a chance, not only to giving my own contribution
answering the questions, but also to eventually comment your latest
messages.

Best regards

Miguel