[Cyprinodontiformes] Projecto Internacional de Goodeiídeos (4)

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Domingo, 8 de Março de 2009 - 23:11:13 WET

Prezados colegas,

Prosseguindo a série de mensagens sobre o tema, hoje apresento-vos a
primeira reacção ao meu apelo transcrito na mensagem anterior nesta
mensagem.
Nunca é demais alertar-vos para o facto de que, dentro das disponibilidades
de tempo livre será sempre possível fazer-se a tradução necessária.

De: Colin Grist
Enviada: terça-feira, 30 de Dezembro de 2008 12:53
Para: Michael Koeck; Ivan Dibble; Martin Ravn Tversted; Joel Healy; Miguel
Andrade; Colin Grist; Omar Dominguez; Brian Zimmerman; Miguel Zapater; Matt
Naumann; Alain Grioche; Gasper Gomboc; Guenther Schleussner; Gunter
Teichmann; Guenter-Ellenberg; Horváth Balázs; Kleine Horst; Harro
Hieronimus; Anton Weissenbacher; Dietmar Kunath; Erwin Radax; Patrick C.
Schmitz; Roman Slaboch; Kees de Jong; Stefan Hertwig; Jen
Nightingale
Assunto: RE: Michael Koeck's idea

Dear All,
I hope you have all had a great Christmas.

It is sad to hear that events have taken over for Michael and he has to step
aside from his fish interests. My good wishes go to him and any others
facing similar situations.

There is some light, albeit small, at the end of the tunnel. So here is the
latest news about what we are doing, or trying to do. For a start Brian
Zimmerman at London Zoo Aquarium and myself are discussing joining forces in
the sense that he coordinates the Killifish Group within FAITAG (Fish and
Aquatic Invertebrate Taxon Advisory Group) and I coordinate the Livebearer
Group. We have come to the realization that we maybe more efficient in our
efforts if we combine to form the Toothcarp Group. Certainly on my side of
things we are predominantly concerned about Goodeids. Chester Zoo currently
holds 6 species, Ameca splendens, Characodon audax, Characodon sp. “Abraham
Gonzales”, Skiffia francesae, Zoogoneticus tequila and Allotoca goslinei.

During my last visit to Mexico in August I spent a good deal of time with
Omar at the Fish Ark in Morelia. Chester Zoo provides some annual funding
for the Fish Ark so we have a close relationship with Omar and others there.
We were present at it’s inception a decade ago along with Ivan, who we all
know was a founder and is a great supporter and advisor. In terms of
FAITAG’s relationship with the Fish Ark we will be in discussion with Omar
through 2009 to rationalize husbandry protocols, record keeping and
developing field projects etc. To this end we have drafted a Memorandum of
Association and hopefully we will agree on a final document in the coming
months.

Perhaps the most important thing to happen for Goodeids is the pending full
assessment of all 500 + freshwater fish species in Mexico, which is about to
start shortly in 2009. This project is being undertaken by Topiltzin
Contreras McBeath and Chester Zoo is again a funding partner. It is hoped at
the end of this assessment we will have a clearer picture of the status of
each species, and in particular Goodeids, with a view to providing more
accurate Red Listings. Another likely outcome will be we can more accurately
prioritize the species we need to hold in long term, genetically viable
“safety-net” populations and determine which species can still be managed in
wild populations. With this information we can then make plans to put
whatever is necessary in place to ensure the survival of as many species as
possible.

So, that’s a little bit about things going on now and I hope it has been of
interest to you. Please feel free to respond with any feedback, suggestions
or whatever.

Best wishes for the New Year,

Colin

Colin Grist
Aquarium Projects Coordinator
North of England Zoological Society
Chester Zoo, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1244 389 722
E-mail: Colin Grist
www.chesterzoo.org

Moderator: NAW & Syngnathidae Listserves