[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 26th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 21 de Setembro de 2011 - 22:04:18 WEST

Caros colegas,

Mais raridades… e mais uma actualização :-)

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 26th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

L261a - Ancistrinae gen. sp. "Ventuari"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2034%2020
11/26480-L-261A-6-L261a-ventuari.jpg>

This species of fish is among the rarest of all L-numbers. It belongs not only to
none of the species described so far, but also cannot be applied to any described
genus. L261 was imported initially from the Orinoco in Venezuela. The individual we
were able to import now for sure belongs to the same species. But due to minor
difference in coloration (L261 has tiny white spots on the snout, our fish is lacking
them) and the known collecting site (the Rio Ventuari is a large tributary of the
Orinoco in Venezuela) we have decided to place an "a" behind the L-number.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2034%2020
11/26480-L-261A-6-L261a-blitz-von-vorn.jpg>

Maximum length of the species should be 20-25 cm. The large mouth with the very tiny
teeth shows clearly that the species feeds on Aufwuchs?. Thus keeping L261 should be
comparable to that of Ancistrus spp., although the temperature should be slightly
higher, as it is found in nature: 26-29°C.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2034%2020
11/26480-L-261A-6-L261a-maul.jpg>

For our customers: the fish has code 26480-L-261A-6 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Suggestion of a common name: Black Orinoco Pleco

Text: Frank Schäfer, photos: Taner Alkovac and Frank Schäfer

  _____

Eigenmannia trilineata

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2034%2020
11/252905-eigenmannia-trilineata-guyana.jpg>

We received wonderful specimens of Eigenmannia from Guyana. They show three black
longitudinal stripes on a smokey ground. This fits perfectly to the pattern described
in the species E. trilineata, which is known so far only from the Paraguay-Paraná
system (Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay).

May that be as it is: Eigenmannia are fantastic aquarium fish that show an
incomparable elegance. Males can reach about 40 cm in length, which is double as long
as females can become. Females have also a much shorter snout. Breeding of
Eigenmannia is possible if a rainy season is imitated. As soon as the fish are in the
right condition, they spawn in the roots of swimming plants.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2034%2020
11/252905-eigenmannia-trilineata-paar.jpg>

Knife fishes need well structured tanks with a good number of hiding places. Feeding
them is pretty easy, for the fish accept readily any type of live and frozen food.
Many specimens also accept granulates.

For our customers: the fish have code 252905 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Eigenmannia: dedication name for Carl H. Eigenmann (1863-1927). trilineata:
Latin, means "with three stripes".

Suggestion of a common name: Smokey Glass Knifefish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Rachoviscus crassiceps

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2034%2020
11/286902-rachoviscus-mann2.jpg>

Finally we are able to offer once more this beautiful, but sadly only very
occasionally available tetra. However, even now we have only a limited number of
them.

Although the fish is really beautiful - one of the most attractive features is the
deep red adipose fin - this is not the main excitement for the keeper of Rachoviscus
crassiceps. Each aquarist should have had at least once in a lifetime the opportunity
to observe the fantastic dance the male performs during displaying, may it be while
having a harmless fight with another male or during courtship.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2034%2020
11/286902-rachoviscus-mann1.jpg>

In nature, R. crassiceps inhabits brooks with soft and acidic water in the south of
Brazil. This means that they are subtropical fish that need no additional heater in
indoor aquaria with the exception of breeding season. The regular water temperature
can lie between 16 and 24°C. The very peaceful tetras feed on any usual type of fish
food.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2034%2020
11/286902-rachoviscus-frau.jpg>

For our customers: the animal has code 286902 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Rachoviscus: dedication name for Arthur Rachow. crassiceps: composed from a
Latin and an ancient Greek word, means "with thick head".

Suggestion of a common name: Cherryfin tetra

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News97grau-gb.jpg

Issue 97 of the NEWS can be downloaded for free here: www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/>   Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>