[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 12th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quinta-Feira, 15 de Setembro de 2011 - 21:47:45 WEST

Caros colegas,

Sem mais comentários... mais uma actualização.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 12th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Lamprologus werneri

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/550403-lamprologus-werneri-mann.jpg>

Most hobbyists think about the cichlids of Lake Tanganyika when they hear the generic
name Lamprologus. But there do exist also some species of river-dwelling (= riverine)
Lamprologus. The most attractive species among them is without any doubt Lamprologus
werneri, which we were able to import now once more. The slender fish is spread all
over with silver spots.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/550403-lamprologus-werneri-mann1.jpg>

Keeping these fish in aquaria is comparable to the well known humphead cichlids
(Steatocranus). Like those L. werneri are current-loving, bottom-orientated cave
brooders. A strong current in the tank is very important, as in quiet water the fish
behave very aggressive against each other what is not the case in water with a strong
current.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/550403-lamprologus-werneri-frau.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/550403-lamprologus-werneri-paar.jpg>

The sexes can be best distinguished by the shape of the dorsal fin, which is more
elongate in males. L. werneri can change its coloration dramatically and one often
may believe to observe different species instead of only one.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/lamprologus-congoensis.jpg>

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/lamprologus-teugelsi.jpg>

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/lamprologus-tumbanus-frau.jpg>

This is probably the reason why there is quite a lot of confusion in the
hobby-literature regarding the determination. Our shipment of L. werneri contained
also some specimens of L. tumbanus (a stout fish with a very large head and a slight
pattern in the caudal fin, no light spots), L. teugelsi (very similar to L. tumbanus,
but more slender, no pattern in the caudal fin), and L. congoensis (coloration like
L. werneri, but much deeper-bodied).

For our customers: L. werneri has code 550403 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Lamprologus: means "the one that wears gloss"; refers to the shining spots
on each scale of L. congoensis, the type species. Steatocranus: composed of an
ancient Greek and a Latin word, means "fat skull". werneri: dedication name for A.
Werner, Munich. tumbanus: after Lake Tumba, the type locality. teugelsi: dedication
name for Guy Teugels (1954 - 2003). congoensis: after the collecting site, the Congo
river.

Common name: Werner´s ground cichlid

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

Literature: Schelly, R. C. & M. L. J. Stiassny (2004): Revision of the Congo River
Lamprologus Schilthuis, 1891 (Teleostei: Cichlidae), with descriptions of two new
species. American Museum Novitates No. 3451: 1-40.

  _____

Apistogramma iniridae

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/622554-apistogramma-iniridae-mann.jpg>

Sadly this beautiful dwarf cichlid is only occasionally available, but currently we
were able to import once more beautiful, fully grown specimens. The fish are very
stable and display all the  behaviour that makes the keeping of these fish so
desirable. Like its close relative A. uaupesi, which differs from A. iniridae mainly
due to the lyra-shaped caudal fin in the former species, the males are displaying
their sailfin-like dorsal fins in harmless hierarchy fights - a wonderful look.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/622554-apistogramma-iniridae-orange.jpg>

As in most Apistogramma species, the coloration is quite variable. There are
specimens with much orange (mainly in the caudal fin), others look rather blueish.
This seems not to represent different populations, but obviously the different colour
varieties live side by side.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/622554-apistogramma-iniridae-paar.jpg>

This up to 7-8 cm long species (females always stay 2-3 cm smaller than the males)
should be kept in soft, acidic and warm water (26-30°C). They feed readily on any
type of frozen and live food. The females can become very aggressive against the
males during broodcare, so it is best to keep the fish in well planted tanks that
have a lot of hiding places.

For our customers: the fish has code 622554 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Apistogramma: ancient Greek, means "with unreliable line". It is not known
whether the lateral line organ or the pattern is meant. iniridae: after the type
locality, the Rio Inirida. uaupesi: after the type locality, the Rio Uaupes.

Common name: Inirida dwarf cichlid

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Characidae gen. sp. "Yellow Glass" - a new dwarf tetra

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2032%2020
11/215513-neuer-zwergsalmler-peru.jpg>

For the first time ever we were able to import this charming dwarf tetra from Peru,
which cannot be placed in any known genus or species so far. Our largest specimens
are about 1.5 cm long. Of course it is possible that our fish represent only
juveniles of a larger species, but this thesis seems to be unlikely, as there can
already some mating behaviour be observed. During displaying the specimens thought to
be males change the colour of the lower lobe of the caudal fin, which becomes black.
So the fish reminds one at times somewhat in the Penguin tetra (Thayeria boehlkei).

Keeping the new dwarf tetra proofed so far not very problematic. The charming fish
dont like too much current. All in all the new species is a wonderful addition for
the nano tank aquarium hobby.

For our customers: the fish has code 215513 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Thayeria: dedication name for N. Thayer, who sponsored an important
ichtyological expedition through South America from 1865-1866. bohlkei: dedication
name for James E. Böhlke, an american ichthyologist.

Suggestion of a common name: Yellow cristal dwarf tetra

Text & photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News97grau-gb.jpg

Issue 97 of the NEWS can be downloaded for free here: www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/>   Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>