[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter august 5th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 14 de Setembro de 2011 - 22:09:16 WEST

Para quem gosta de peixes fora do comum…

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter august 5th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Dianema cf. urostriata RED ITUXI

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/251712-dianema-red-ituxi.jpg>

The genus Dianema comprises currently only two valid species (D. longibarbis and D.
urostriata), which are pretty easy to distinguish due to the very different
coloration of the caudal fin.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/251712-dianema-red-ituxi-portrait.jpg>

>From Brazil we now received a third species under the name of "RED ITUXI". Obviously
the collectors in the field observed that the basic colour of the fish is by far more
reddish-orange than in its congeneers. The fish has a pattern in the caudal fin,
which is quite variable and reminds one in D. urostriata (in D. longibarbis the
caudal fin is completely hyaline). Despite this the new Dianema differs clearly from
the other two species by the always clearly visible fontanelle (see photos).

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/urostriata-und-red-ituxi1.jpg>

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/urostriata-und-red-ituxi2.jpg>

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/251703-dianema-urostriata.jpg>

Keeping the new Dianema is as easy as keeping the other Dianema species. Dianema are
day active, schooling fish that prefer to swim free in the water column in contrast
to most other plated catfish. The fish are extremely peaceful and feed readily on any
type of usual fishfood.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/251703-dianema-urostriata-portrait.jpg>

Breeding Dianema, on the other hand, is not that easy, as it is quite difficult to
stimulate the fish. In case stimulation was successful, the male Dianema builds a
kind of bubble nest under a broad leaf or so. Here the male spawns with one or
several females. At least under aquarium conditions the guarding instinct is not very
strong. The closely relative Hoplosternum, for example, jumps without any hesitating
in the face of the curious aquarist that dares to put his nose too close to the nest

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/251503-dianema-longibarbis.jpg>

The sexes of Dianema are not easy to distinguish. Males can be recognized best by the
broader and stronger pectoral fin spines. Maximum size reported so far is around 8 cm
(in D. longibarbis) and 15 cm (D. urostriata). Our new "RED ITUXI" are currently
between 4 and 6 cm long.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/251503-dianema-longibarbis-portrai.jpg>

For our customers: the new Dianema has code 251712 on our stocklist. Please note that
we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Dianema: from ancient Greek, means about "with two threads", referring to
the two barbels on the upper and the lower jaw. longibarbis: Latin, means "with a
long beard". urostriata: Latin, means "with a striped tail".

Suggestion of a common name: Red Ituxi Dianema

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Caecomastacembelus brichardi - the Blind Spiny Eel

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/109003-caecomastacembelus-brichardi-totale.jpg>

One expects blind species of fish from cave systems or the deep sea. But in the
rapids of the lower Congo river not less than 5 different species of blind fish exist
(among them the only blind species of cichlid of the World, Lamprologus lethops) -
and nobody can explain why these fish are blind. One of them is Caecomastacembelus
brichardi, which we were able to import once more after many years.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/109003-caecomastacembelus-brichardi-portrait.jpg>

The scientific paper, in which the Blind Spiny Eel is described, is accompanied by a
biotope photo. Here one can see large rocks, sometimes protruding from the water, and
it is in crevices among these that the Blind Spiny Eel prefers to live.

The species grows to about 15 cm in length (the largest specimen in the type series
was 11 cm long); its colour varies from snow-white to a whitish grey, and it prefers
a diet of worms and frozen foods. It is important that the food has a strong aroma.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2031%2020
11/109003-caecomastacembelus-brichardi-jungundalt.jpg>

Against conspecifics the fish is completely peaceful. In general, spiny eels are
peaceful fish that ignore other species as long as they don´t serve as food.

For our customers: the fish have code 109003 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Caecomastacembelus: Latin, means "blind Mastacembelus"; Mastacembelus is
another genus of spiny eel. brichardi: dedication name for Pierre Brichard (1921 -
1990).

Common name: Blind Spiny Eel

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News97grau-gb.jpg

Issue 97 of the NEWS can be downloaded for free here: www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/>   Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>