[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter September 23rd, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Segunda-Feira, 3 de Outubro de 2011 - 22:13:15 WEST

Para os amantes de Ciclídeos… a última actualização de hoje.

Na edição de Sábado foi anunciada uma estirpe muito interessante de Skiffia
multipunctata !

Talvez consiga enviar-vos essa edição antes de embarcar.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter September 23rd, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

This week´s newsletter is dedicted to the large cichlids. We currently have some very
impressive and rare forms in stock.

Satanoperca mapiritensis

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2038%2020
11/687536-satanoperca-mapiritensis-duo.jpg>

We obtained this wonderful, glittering  eartheater from Venezuela. The size is 15-18
cm. Members of the genus Satanoperca are also called "devilfishes", but despite this
horrible name the fish are extremely peaceful. They live over sandy bottoms which
they browse through in search for food. In such a habitat it makes no sense to defend
a territory. Devilfishes are biparental, ovophilous mouthbrooders, which means that
bot parents take alternating the young fish in the mouth. So one of the parents is
always able to feed. Only in high danger the young fish are allowed to enter the
mouth of both parents. However, the eggs are incubated by the female fish alone.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2038%2020
11/687536-satanoperca-mapiritensis-portrait.jpg>

The name "devilfish" has been given to these nice cichlids by native fishermen in
Amazonia. In the original description of S. jurupari, Heckel writes (1840): " ... his
name Juruparí pindá means devil´s fishing rod in Lingua geral". It is thought that
the fishermen were disgusted by the fact that the fish seemed to give birth to the
offspring through the mouth and so associated the harmless creature with the devil.

For our customers: Satanoperca: Latin, means "devil´s perch". mapiritensis: after the
type locality, the Rio Mapirito

Suggestion of a common name: Glitter Devilfish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Uaru amphiacanthoides "Santarem"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2038%2020
11/688497-uaru-santarem.jpg>

At present we can offer this magnificent variant of Uaru amphiacanthoides originating
from Santarem. The fish impress by their metallical resplendent body and the cherry
red eyes. All Uarus are expressed plant lovers. Beside a meaty nutrition vegetarian
food should be offered. The food spectrum is large, almost all fruit and vegetables
are accepted and eaten greedy after habituation. This applies naturally also to
aquatic plants, so that a Uaru aquarium looks usually quite bare. You can try to add
to an with roots and stones decorated fish tank some "hard" aquatic plants e.g.
Anubias or Microsorium species. Since they can reach with approximately 25 cm a
stately size, large aquaria are needed (> 150 cm). Under to bright light Uarus do not
feel particularly well. Since they have calm temper, they do not like a socialization
with hectic tank mates.

For our customers: the fish have code 688497 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Uaru: according to Heckel (1840) a name for a toad in the ancient Brazilian
language. amphiacanthoides: menas "similiar to Amphiacanthus"; Amphiacanthus is a
synonym to Siganus (rabbit fish).

Common name: Triangle cichlid

Text : Klaus Diehl, photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Astronotus ocellatus wild, Colombia

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2038%2020
11/632505-oscar-wild1.jpg>

Last year we were already able to import this impressive species from Colombia, see
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/astronotus-ocellatus-wild,-kolumbien_de_1176.html

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2038%2020
11/632505-oscar-wild2.jpg>

Now we could once more organize an importation of this fantastic cichlid from
Colombia, but this time the fish are even more beautiful and have a lot of shining
spots all over the belly. These are really awesome and majestic fishes!

For our customers: the fish have code 632505 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Astronotus: ancient Greek, means "with stars on the back", referring to the
coloration. ocellatus: Latin for "with an eyespot".

Common name: Oscar

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News97grau-gb.jpg

Issue 97 of the NEWS can be downloaded for free here: www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/>   Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>