[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter April 15th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sexta-Feira, 20 de Maio de 2011 - 22:12:28 WEST

Caros colegas,

Aqui vai mais uma actualização...

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter April 15th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Odontocharacidium cf aphanes

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2015%2020
11/odontocharacidium-cf-aphan1.jpg>

Once more we were able to import this cute dwarf tetra from Peru. The maximum length
of the fish is around 2 cm total length. Despite their small size the males can be
very aggressive against each other. If one can keep a lot of them together they are
peaceful (the same phenomenon can be found in many cichlid species), but in a normal
sized tank one should keep only one male along with one or more females.

The sexes can be distinguished easily by coloration. Only the males become bright
red. Depending on mood, mating males can also develope a deep black humeral spot.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2015%2020
11/odontocharacidium-cf-aphan2.jpg>

So far only one species of the genus Odontocharacidium is known to science, namely O.
aphanes from the Rio Negro in Brazil. However, this species has a rather dull
coloration. Is is not known wether the Peruvian fish represents a new species or a
variety of O. aphanes.

The water parameters on a collecting site of this fish in the Rio Shishita drainage
were as follows: pH 5,32, conductivity 21µS/cm, temperature 24°C. Keeping these very
nice fish proofed unproblematical so far.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2015%2020
11/odontocharacidium-cf-aphan3.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 272973 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Odontocharacidium: means about "Characidium with teeth"; Characidium is
another genus of ground tetra. aphanes: ancient Greek, means "unconspicuous".

Suggestion of a common name: Red Dwarf Darter Tetra

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Apistogramma bitaeniata Brazil

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2015%2020
11/apistogramma-bitaeniata-p.jpg>

Apistogramma bitaeniata is a beautiful dwarf cichlid. Males can get a length up to 8
cm, while females stay much smaller (4-6 cm). In nature this fish is restricted to
areas with very soft and acidic water, but in the aquarium the species is quite
undemanding in this respect. Only for breeding purposes water parameters are
necessary that are similar to those in the wild.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2015%2020
11/apistogramma-bitaeniata-m.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2015%2020
11/apistogramma-bitaeniata-f.jpg>

Most often the species is imported from Peru, where a lot of varieties exist.
Currently we were able once more to import the fish from the eastern most part of its
distribution area in Brazil. The golden-blue face mask makes this variety very
attractive.

For our customers: the species has code 615102 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Apistogramma: ancient Greek, means "with unreliable line". It is not known
wether the lateral line organ or the pattern is meant. bitaeniata: Latin, means "with
two stripes".

Common name: Twostripe Dwarf Cichlid

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Erythrinus sp. Madre de Dios

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2015%2020
11/erythrinus-sp-orange.jpg>

Finally we were successful and imported a larger number of this wonderfully coloured
predatory tetra from Peru. Both sexes have the splendid orange belly. Females can be
recognized by the shape of the ventral fins: they are comparatively small and rounded
(large and pointed in males).

It is said that the species can attain a length of up to 25 cm; however, our
specimens are about 15 cm long and sexually fully developed

Keeping these pretty fish is very easy. They are solitary living predatory fish.
Erythrinus has an accessory organ that enables the fish to breath atmospheric air in
oxygen-poor water. In the aquarium the fish accept readily frozen fish (smelt) as
food, so feeding them is not a problem at all.

Read more about that intersting fish here: http://aqualog.de/news/web96/13-16e.pdf

For our customers: the species has code 253394 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Erythrinus: ancient Greek, means about "the reddish".

Suggestion of a common name: Firebelly Wolf Fish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover96engl.jpg>

Issue 96 of AqualogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>