[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter April 1st, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quinta-Feira, 19 de Maio de 2011 - 21:49:31 WEST

Caros colegas,

E aqui vai mais um passo no sentido da actualização...

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter April 1st, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Myleus schomburgkii

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/myleus-schomburgki-juv-trup.jpg>

Currently we have one of the most beautiful of the large tetras in stock: Myleus
schomburgkii. The magnificent species reaches up to 45 cm in total length, our
specimens have the ideal size of 5-7 cm. The photos of the juveniles illustrating
this entrance are made from our specimens in stock, while the adults have been
photographed in a public aquarium.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/myleus-schomburgki-mann-ad1.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/myleus-schomburgki-frau-ad.jpg>

In contrast to many other species of silver dollars identification of Myleus
schomburgkii is quite easy. It is the only species that has a vertical black stripe
on the body. However, shape and size of that stripe differ in specimens from
different localities so it is possible that more than one species is currently lumped
under the name of M. schomburgkii.

Sexes cannot be distinguished in juveniles externally, but can be very easily
distinguished in adults. In all Myleus species adult males develope a two-lobed anal
fin. In M. schomburgkii the males moreover develope filiformous extensions of the
dorsal fin rays. Mating males become splendid red.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/myleus-schomburgki-mann-ad2.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/myleus-schomburgki-juv.jpg>

These close relatives of the piranhas feed mainly on plant material. Exactly like
piranhas Myleus schomburgkii establish a hierarchy. The species is one of the most
attractive inhabitants of large aquaria one can think of.

For our customers: the fish have code 270503 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Myleus: after the ancient Greek term for "millstone". schomburgkii:
dedication name for the important German naturalist and explorer Robert Hermann
Schomburgk (1804-1865).

Suggestion of a common name: Blackbanded pacu

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

L239, Ancistrinae gen. sp. Blue

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/L239-portrait.jpg>

We received a shipment of this very nice Pleco from Venezuela. The species becomes
only 10-12 cm long. The blue iridescent fins look extremely attractive, but also the
remaining parts of the body are blue-blackish coloured.

It was not possible so far to place the species in an existing genus and also the
species seems to be undescribed yet. Once the fish are settled they are hardy and
long-living. They have been even bred successfully in aquaria. Sexually mature males
develope many odontodes ("whiskers" and on the pectoral spines). The species feeds
mainly on plant material. Like many other species from the upper Orinoco L236 prefers
a slightly warmer water than usual (26-28°C).

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/L239-mann.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/L239-frau.jpg>

For our customers: the animals have code 26480-L239-2 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Pelvicachromis taeniatus Nigeria Yellow

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/pelvi-taeniatus-yellow-mann.jpg>

This is another, extreme beautiful variety of that gorgeous dwarf cichlid from
Western Africa: Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigeria Yellow". Initially the animal
originates from the surroundings of the Nigerian city of Lagos, but we have in stock
fully grown adult bred ones. The bright golden breast and the very long finnage make
Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigeria Yellow" real eye catchers.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2013%2020
11/pelvi-taeniatus-yellow-frau.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 562314 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Pelvicachromis: Latin, means about "Chromis with a specially coloured
pelvis"; Chromis is an old catch-all name for perches. taeniatus: Latin, means
"striped".

Common name: makes no sense, the fish is commonly known by enthusiasts as the
"taeniatus Nigeria yellow".

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover96engl.jpg>

Issue 96 of AqualogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>