[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter June 18th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Segunda-Feira, 20 de Junho de 2011 - 21:42:46 WEST

Caros colegas,

Também em relação à newsletter da GLASER já estamos em dia.

« A pedido de muitas famílias » vou passar a enviar também os números da AQUALOG
NEWS.

Começarei do fim para o início, interrompendo cada vez que sair um número novo.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter June 18th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Ancistrus sp. L309

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2024%2020
11/26480-L309-mann.jpg>

Finally we were able once more to import this very nice and unique member of the
specious genus Ancistrus: L309. The species has not been described scientifically yet
and originates from the Rio Tapajós. The fish is so different from the other members
of the genus that is was even thought at times that it would belong to the genus
Baryancistrus!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2024%2020
11/26480-L309-frau.jpg>

The beautiful fish have a relatively flat body and stay rather small. Maximum size
given in literature is between 10 and 12 cm, the biggest fish in our importation are
around 8 cm (total length) and sexually fully differentiated. The males develope only
a small "beard", compared with other Ancistrus species.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2024%2020
11/26480-l309-maul-mann.jpg>

These nice Ancistrus have a very variable pattern. They are a bit more demanding than
other Ancistrus and prefer higher temperatures (26-30°C), relatively soft and acidic
water.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2024%2020
11/26480-l309-maul-frau.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 26480-L 309-2 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Ancistrus: from the ancient Greek word for "fishhook". This refers to the
hooked spines that are placed on the movable Interoperculum (a bone between the
gill-covering bones), called interopercularodontodes, which are spread in case of
danger.

Common name: L309

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Oligosarcus jenynsii

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2024%2020
11/27300-oligosarcus-jenynsi.jpg>

This pretty predatory tetra is only imported very occasionally to Europe, although
the up to 30 cm long species is quite common in the southern parts of South America
(Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay). The photographed specimen originates from
Paraguay.

Basically speaking, Oligosarcus is nothing else but a Banded Astyanax (Astyanax
fasciatus) that has been developed to a specialized predator. Oligosarcus jenynsii
looks very much like a Banded Astyanax: the orange fins, the broad, platinum-shining
vertical band, the humeral spot and the rhombic spot on the caudal fin base, all
looks like in the Banded Astyanax. It is, however, not known whether this identical
coloration is due to phylogenetic relationship or only a type of camouflage for the
Oligosarcus that might be used to come near to its prey in company of the harmless
Astyanax.

Oligosarcus jenynsii is - like most predatory fish - absolutely peaceful against
other fish that cannot be eaten; so it is a nice task for aquarists so answer this
question on the basis of aquarium observations. Oligosarcus prefers to prey on small
fish that are not longer than the head of the respective Oligosarcus.

For our customers: the fish has code 27300 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Oligosarcus: from ancient Greek, means  about "with few flesh". jenynsii:
dedication name.

Suggestion of a common name: Orange Finned Pike Tetra

Text & photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Geophagus iporangensis

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2024%2020
11/676534-geophagus-iporangensis3.jpg>

There are more exotic fishes that can be kept and bred at least seasonally in garden
ponds than most aquarists think of. Among these species are for sure the different
types of Brazilian Pearl Cichlids, the Geophagus-brasiliensis-complex.

The group is only poorly understood scientifically, but who cares for names if one
looks at these glorious fishes? As soon as the water temperature is constantly above
10°C the fish can be put in the garden pond. Geophagus iporangensis reaches about 25
cm in length and is not shy at all. So it is possible to make fascinating
observations on the behaviour of the fish in the pond. G. iporangensis is an
openbrooding cichlid with a biparental broodcare and for sure a pair will have the
one or the other offspring during summertime. The specimens we currently have in
stock are German garden pond bred ones.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2024%2020
11/676534-geophagus-iporangensis1.jpg>

Depending on the weather the fish have to be put in a large indoor-tank usually from
October on. This tank should stand cool (temperature between 10 and 15°C). Luckily
Brazilian Pearl Cichlids are peaceful fish as long they don´t defend their brood, so
over-wintering is not a problem at all.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2024%2020
11/676534-geophagus-iporangensis2.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 676534 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Geophagus: from ancient Greek, means "eartheater". brasiliensis: means
"coming from Brazil". iporangensis: after the place where the types have been
collected.

Suggestion of a common name: Red Finned Brazilian Pearl Cichlid

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover96engl.jpg>

Issue 96 of AqualogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>