[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter May 27th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 15 de Junho de 2011 - 23:19:56 WEST

Caros colegas,

Temos o atraso no envio destas mensagens quase compensado.

Nesta edição da newsletter da GLASER não aparecerem Poeciliídeos nem Goodeiídeos...
mas há um parente ovulíparo, Aphyosemion dargei " Mbam ", para os apreciadores de
killies.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter May 27th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Orinocodoras eigenmanni

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/orinocodoras-normal-frau.jpg>

The talking catfishes (Doradidae) are an interesting group of fishes in many ways. A
lot of the species have a very contrasting pattern of dark and light elements, they
can make sounds (that can be compared with a grumbling or gnarling) and their armour
of bony plates often looks that bizarr that one might think these creatures have been
developed on the drawing board of a fantasy filmer rather than in nature.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/orinocodoras-marbled.jpg>

Orinocodoras eigenmanni is only very rarely imported. The species moreover can be
easily confused with a species of Platydoras. O. eigenmanni attains a maximum length
of about 20 cm. Our specimens were imported from Colombia. It is most interesting
that some of our fish have a marbled pattern which has not been described in
literature so far, at least to the best of our knowledge. However, other specimens of
the import look perfectly like they should do.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/orinocodoras-normal-mann.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/orinocodoras-von-oben.jpg>

Orinocodoras eigenmanni is a peaceful species that is trying to get in contact with
conspecifics in the aquarium. Very small fishes can become eaten of course, but O.
eigenmanni fits perfectly in a community tank with medium sized fish. The species
feeds readily on any usual fishfood. During feeding times the basically night-active
species is also very active on daytimes.

For our customers: the fish have code 273181 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Orinocodoras: means "Doras from the Orinoco"; Doras is another genus of
talking catfish. eigenmanni: dedication name for the ichthyologist Carl H. Eigenmann
(1863 - 1927). Platydoras: from the ancient Greek, means "broad Doras"; Doras is
another genus of talking catfish.

Suggestion of a common name: Donauwelle talking cat (the Donauwelle,which means "wave
of the river Danube" is a chocolate covered cake with vanilla pudding, referring to
the contrasting pattern of the fish).

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Hemiloricaria castroi

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/hemiloricaria-castroi-halb.jpg>

It was in August of the past year (2010) that we posted a notice on the successful
importation of a wild collected lutiono of Hemiloricaria from Peru
(http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/hemiloricaria-sp-golden-lutino_de_1209.html). The
animal is still living in our facility (May 2011) and has changed its coloration
completely as can be seen on the new photos. Moreover, now it is quite certain that
it belongs to the species Hemiloricaria castroi. The combination of distinctively
banded pectoral and ventral fins and the two rows of denticles along the flanks of
the anterior body is unique in the genus Hemiloricaria.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/ca4bbb459f542b81d1745a84f997b547.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/hemiloricaria-castroi-total.jpg>

The very same individual: on the left five months ago, on the right this week.

It now seems that the phenomenon of golden wild collected loricariids that return to
a normal colour phase under aquarium conditions is relatively wide spread within the
family. It is already known for Parancistrus aurantiacus, but also, for example, for
Otocinclus vestitus (see http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/archiv.php?news_id=291).
However, the reason for that drastically change of colour is still unknown.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/hemiloricaria-castroi-ventr.jpg>

Hemiloricaria castroi can obtain a length of about 18 cm and is one of the bigger
members of the genus. It was described scientifically from the Rio Trombetas in
Brazil, but it also obviously appears in Peru.

For our customers: the fish has code 287655 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Hemiloricaria: hemi is ancient Greek and means "half", loricaria is another
genus of whiptail catfish. castroi: dedication name

Suggestion of a common name: Finband whiptail cat

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Available soon: Aphyosemion dargei "Mbam"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/aphyosemion-dargei.jpg>

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/aphyosemion-dargei2.jpg>

One of our reliable killifish breeders will be able to supply us with a small number
of these Aphyosemion in autumn, which are by far the most complicated ones to breed.
Luckily keeping these crown jewels among the ornamental fish is pretty easy as the
three males we obtained for photographing purposes in advance show in an impressive
manner.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2021%2020
11/aphyosemion-dargei-front.jpg>

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover96engl.jpg>

Issue 96 of AqualogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>