[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter July 8th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sábado, 9 de Julho de 2011 - 19:26:05 WEST

Caros colegas,

Embora nenhum Poeciliídeo ou Goodeiídeo tenha mereceido destaque nesta edição, há sem
dúvida interessantes espécies que merecem a nossa atenção.

Sobretudo os aficionados dos lagos de jardim, nas zonas mais amenas da Europa como
Portugal, foram brindados desta vez com 3 excelentes propostas.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter July 8th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

L18, L81, L85, L177, and L47 described scientifically

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2027%2020
11/26480-L%20047-2-baryancistrus-chrysolomus-L47.jpg>

These plecos, which originate from the Rio Xingu and its tributary Rio Iriri belong
to the most popular L-numbers. Now they have been described scientifically. L18, L81,
L85, and L177 belong to the same species (although L81 has not been mentioned in the
paper) and have been named Baryancistrus xanthellus, whereas L47 has been named
Baryancistrus chrysolomus.

All these plecos become larger than 20 cm. Read more about the different varieties of
Baryancistrus xanthellus here:
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/baryancistrus-l18,-l81,-l81n,-l177_de_1072.html

Lexicon: Baryancistrus: ancient Greek, means "heavy Ancistrus"; Ancistrus is another
genus of catfish. xanthellus: from ancient Greek, means "yellow". chrysolomus: from
ancient Greek, means "with yellow seam".

The original scientific paper can be downloaded here:
http://www.ufrgs.br/ni/vol9num2/v09n2a01.pdf

Text & photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Scardinius erythrophthalmus GOLD

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2027%2020
11/878553-goldrotfeder-frau.jpg>

The rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus) is the only species of freswater fish native
in Central Europe that is specialized in feeding on soft water plants and algae. Thus
it is a perfect helper for garden ponds where algae and especially duckweed should be
reduced. As the rudd likes to swim in the upper regions of the water column it is
easier to observe it than koi or goldfish, which often like to swim near the bottom.
The rudd is an indigenous fish species and thus completely frost restistant.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2027%2020
11/878553-goldrotfeder-mann.jpg>

The rudd usually grows to a length of 15-20 cm. The fish becomes sexually mature in
its second year of life. At that age it is usually 8-10 cm long. Maximum length given
for the rudd in literature is about 50 cm, but it is very likely that most often such
giants are hybrids of the rudd with other cyprind fishes.

The golden rudd is a sport ot the rudd that is bred in fishbreeding facilities.

For our customers: the fish have code 878553 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Scardinius: derived from Scarus, which was a name for a nowadays
unidentifiable species of fish in ancient Greece. erythrophthalmus: Latin, means
"with red eyes".

Common name: Golden rudd

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Gymnogeophagus meridionalis

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2027%2020
11/679813-gymnogeophagus-meridionalis-mann.jpg>

Currently we have magnificent (German pond bred!) specimes of that cichlid, which is
almost a dwarf cichlid (our fish are between 5-7 cm long and fully mature and in
colour) in stock. There is still no agreement among the specialized aquarists, if
this form represents a population of Gymnogeophagus meridionalis, G. rhabdotus or if
the fish belong to a still undescribed new species. In the literature this population
is also named "Gymnogeophagus sp. Rosario II" or "Gymnogeophagus sp. Arco Iris". Read
more about this fantastic cichlid under
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/-gymnogeophagus-meridionalis-_de_710.html

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2027%2020
11/679813-gymnogeophagus-meridionalis-frau.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 679813 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Gymnogeophagus: from ancient Greek, means "naked Geophagus", referring to
the unscaled snout. Geophagus is another genus of cichlid. meridionalis: Latin, means
"southern". rhabdotus: from ancient Greek, means "striped".

Suggestion of a common name: Small rainbow eartheater

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

The Phenix tetra has been described: Hemigrammus filamentosus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2027%2020
11/262079-hyphessobrycon-cf-stegemanM.jpg>

We introduced this beautiful new tetra to you in May this year under the provisional
name of Hyphessobrycon cf. stegemanni.

Now the species has been described scientifically under the name of Hemigrammus
filamentosus.

The original description can be downloaded here:
http://www.vertebrate-zoology.de/vz61-1/01_Vertebrate_Zoology_61-1_Zarske.pdf

Read more about the fish on our homepage here:
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/hemigrammus-filamentosus-hyphessobrycon-cf-stegemanni
-phnix-salmler_en_1327.html

Lexicon: Hemigrammus: ancient Greek, means "with half line", referring to the
incomplete lateral line, which is genus-specific. filamentosus: Latin, means "with
threads".

Text & photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Jordanella floridae

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2027%2020
11/327504-jordanella-floridae-mann.jpg>

It does not necessarily have to be a new species of fish to make us enthusiastic.
This good old fashioned killifish is in fact part of our standard stock. Most often
the fish are bred ones from Indonesia. But recently we were able to import very large
specimens from Florida, the native home country of this beautiful fish and any time
we watch the tanks they inhabit we enjoy the splendid colours of the fish.

Males and females look that different that it is almost impossible to confuse them.
The males become about 6 cm long, the females stay smaller. Algae form an important
part of diet of these fishes, but they feed also happily on any type of live, frozen
and flake food. As long as the water temperature is above 10°C the American flag
killi can be kept in outdoor tanks and garden ponds.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2027%2020
11/327504-jordanella-floridae-frau.jpg>

The American flag fish is the only species of killifish known so far that exhibits a
kind of brood care. The male defends the spawning site until the fry hatches. So the
American flag fish is not only a very beautiful aquarium inhabitant, but also a very
interesting one.

For our customers: the fish have code 327504 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Jordanella: dedication name for David Starr Jordan (1851 - 1931). floridae:
after the native home country of the fish, Florida in the USA.

Common name: American flag fish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News97grau-gb.jpg

Issue 97 of the NEWS can be downloaded for free here: www.aqualog.de  Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>