[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter January 7th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sexta-Feira, 14 de Janeiro de 2011 - 23:09:57 WET

Caros colegas,

Aqui vai mais um esforço de actualização.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter January 7th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Nannostomus trifasciatus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2001%2020
11/nannostomus%20trifasciatus1-ag.jpg>

Sometimes the enormous number of new and attractive importations makes us forget that
some of the alltime-evergreens also are real beauties. One of the most beautiful
among those is the Threestripe pencilfish, Nannostomus trifasciatus. The species has
a very wide distribution (Bolivia, Brazil, Guyana, and Peru) and a large number of
local varieties with different coloration does exist. It is not unlikely that at
least some of them one day will be described as full species. The photographed
animals we have in stock currently originate from Brazil and have been exported via
Manaus.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2001%2020
11/nannostomus%20trifasciatus2-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 272304 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Nannostomus: from ancient Greek, means "with a tiny mouth". trifasciatus:
Latin, means "with three stripes".

Common name: Threestripe pencilfish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Serrasalmus cf. spilopleura

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2001%2020
11/serrasalmus%20cf%20spilopleura%20totale-ag.jpg>

The correct determination of piranha species is one of the most difficult chapters in
ichthyology at all. Even the specialized authorities for that group of fish have
often different points of view. And so we quite often can only look for the very few
features that are accepted as species specific, like the black bands in the caudal
and the anal fins, the existence of a humeral spot etc.

But the fish is by far more important than its scientific name! And one thing is for
sure: this piranha is the most beautiful one we ever were able to import! There is no
doubt that the fish belongs to a relationship around Serrasalmus spilopleura and S.
maculatus and most probably they reach the same size and can be kept and bred equally
to these mentioned species. So please take a look on our entrance on them on our
homepage:
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/serrasalmus-maculatus-und-s-marginatus_de_1179.html

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2001%2020
11/serrasalmus%20cf%20spilopleura%20tapajos-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2001%2020
11/serrasalmus%20cf%20spilopleura%20portrait-ag.jpg>

We have added the river name "Tapajos" to the scientific name on our stocklist. This
is due to the fact that in the Tapajos river a type of Serrasalmus spilopleura can be
found that has equal to our fish a brilliant deep red to orange breast, whereas the
other piranhas of that group have a yellow one. The exact origin of our specimens is
unknown to us.

For our customers: the fish have code 292814 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Serrasalmus: from Latin, means "salmon with a saw". Refers to the saw-like
arranged scales along the keel of the breast. spilopleura: ancient Greek, means "with
spotted flanks". maculatus: Latin word for "spotted"

Suggestion of a common name: Charcoal piranha

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Xenentodon canciloides

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2001%2020
11/xenentodon%20canciloides-ag.jpg>

The Needlefishes (Belonidae) are a relative small family and are represented by a
small number (about 35) of species only, but these are very successful and can be
found in marine and freshwater habitats of temperate and tropical regions worldwide.
Some of them are so common that they form the basis of a commercial fishery for human
consumption.

The Genus Xenentodon is restricted to tropical Asia. The fish are found exclusively
in freshwater. They are unbelievable elegant predators that live near the water
surface. In their natural habitat they are found always in schools. Currently only
two species are accepted, namely Xenentodon cancila and X. canciloides. The beautiful
fish we were able to import now from Thailand are closer to X. canciloides than to X.
cancila, but may represent a still undescribed species as well.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2001%2020
11/xenentodon%20canciloides%20portrait-ag.jpg>

Xenentodon can reach a total length up to 30 cm and thus should not be kept in too
small tanks. Aquarists who want to keep these fish also have to guarantee the supply
of the needlefish with small, life foodfish. If these preferences are assured,
keeping needlefish is unproblematical. They even breed readily in captivity. The eggs
have entangling tendrils and are placed in fine waterplants etc. The fish do not take
care for their brood in any way. Males can be recognized when they reach sexual
maturity (at a length of 15-20 cm): from that size on they have a red hump directly
behind the head.

For our customers: The fish have code 476103 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Xenentodon: ancient Greek, means "with disconcerting teeth"; this applies to
the lower pharyngeal plate. cancila: after an indigenous name for the fish in Bengal.
canciloides: means "similiar to cancila".

Suggestion of a common name: Inkstripe Needlefish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

New in stock Calendar week 1, 2011

Dear customers and subscribers of our newsletter,

our weekly importatios regularly content species and varieties we never or only very
occassionally had in stock. Thus they are - at least for us - new. Sadly it is for
different reasons not possible to portray all of them in detail. However, we want to
show you at least some of the most interesting of them by a photograph. Enjoy!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2001%2020
11/tableau%20kw1%202011.jpg>

Your Aquarium Glaser Team

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/CoverNews95engl.j
pg>

Issue 95 of TerralogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de.
Enjoy!

  _____

.....and please do not forget to visit our homepage
<http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>  to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>