[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter March 25th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Segunda-Feira, 11 de Abril de 2011 - 23:11:50 WEST

Caros amigos,

Aqui vai mais uma tentativa de actualização, no seguimento da minha mensagem
anterior.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter March 25th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

First import!
Crenicichla zebrina arrived

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/crenicichla%20zebrina%20mann2-ag.jpg>

This pike cichlid was discovered only in 2002 and described scientifically in 2008.
It originates from the lower Ventuari river, the largest tributary of the upper
Orinoco in Venezuela. The Ventuari is a clearwater river. Although the Ventuari river
is rather good sampled, the describers of that unique species were not able to obtain
more than two specimens of Crenicichla zebrina for their scientific research.

Many setbacks
Although both the original description and the internet presented so far only
pictures of preserved or dying specimens (the pictures illustrating this entrance are
so far the only existing ones that show the normal life coloration of the species):
we guessed that Crenicichla zebrina should be an extreme beautiful species! Sadly all
efforts and expeditions we sponsored to collect this fish failed for more than two
years. Either accidents happened or diseases appeared or the weather played dirty
tricks on the expedition - we were driven almost to dispair.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/crenicichla%20zebrina%20subad-ag.jpg>

Happy end
But finally we were successful. On March 16th, 2011 six healthy and lively specimens
landed in Frankfurt. All of them are extreme beautiful. The fish have a length of
about 15 cm up to about 30 cm. They fully reward us for all the sorrow and dispair we
had to go through to get them.

For our customers: the fish have code 67405 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Crenicichla: ancient Greek, means "Cichla with a comb"; Cichla is another
genus of cichlid. zebrina: latinized after the zebra, due to the striped pattern.

Suggestion of a common name: Firemouth pike cichlid

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Ancistomus sp. L243/LDA86

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/Peckoltia-sp-L243.jpg>

Recently we received the very nice, only rarely imported species of Ancistomus, which
was given the numbers L243 and LDA86, respectively. The species is not described
scientifically yet. Like most Ancistomus the species reaches a maximum length of
about 15-20 cm and is thus a medium sized species of the family. Ancistomus feed
mainly on Aufwuchs and can be fed easily in the aquarium with most of the usual types
of fishfood.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/Peckoltia-sp-L243-maul.jpg>

Ancistomus breed quite easily in home aquaria. The sexes can be distinguished by the
shape of the pectoral and ventral fins (larger and with more acute tips in males);
the males are moreover more elongate and develop a lot of odontodes. By far more
important than the water chemistry seems to be that the water is relative warm, over
28°C.

For our customers: the fish have code 26480-L 243 on our stocklist. Please note that
we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Ancistomus: compound of the generic names Ancistrus and Hypostomus; both are
similar genera of loricariid catfish. odontodes: skin teeth, spiny structures that
can be observed usually even with the bare eye.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Peckoltia sp. LDA61 "Morruda" (L140/L202/LDA57/LDA79)

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/Peckoltia-sp-LDA61-Bogota-1.jpg>

We received this nice pleco from Colombia. It is one of the most undemanding plecos
at all. The species reaches about 12 cm maximum length. This species has such a
variable coloration that a lot of L- and LDA-numbers were given to it. The animals
imported now with the additional name "Morruda" (spanish, means "blobber-lipped")
look most like LDA61, a number which was initially given to that species for
specimens from the rio Tapajós in Brazil. To the best of our knowledge this species
of Peckoltia is not described scientifically yet.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/Peckoltia-sp-LDA61-Bogota-2.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/Peckoltia-sp-LDA61-Bogota-3.jpg>

For our customers: the animals have code 26480-LDA 061 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Peckoltia: Named after Gustavo Peckolt, member of the Natural History
Commission of Rondon.

Test & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Ctenopoma acutirostre wild

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/ctenopoma-acutirostre1.jpg>

It is been a quite long time since we had the last importation of this bushfish from
the D. R. Congo. Immediately after their arrival the animals had an unbelievable
strong coloration. Sadly it bleached out a bit over the time, but still looks great.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/ctenopoma-acutirostre2.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/ctenopoma-acutirostre3.jpg>

Read more about the leopard bushfish here:
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/archiv.php?news_id=140

For our customers: the fish have code 115004 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Ctenopoma: ancient Greek, means "comb cover", referring to the spines along
the operculum. acutirostre: Latin, means "with a pointed snout".

Common name: Leopard bushfish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

New in stock Calendar week 6, 2011

Dear customers and subscribers of our newsletter,

our weekly importatios regularly content species and varieties we never or only very
occassionally had in stock. Thus they are - at least for us - new. Sadly it is for
different reasons not possible to portray all of them in detail. However, we want to
show you at least some of the most interesting of them by a photograph. Enjoy!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2012%2020
11/tableau-kw122011.jpg>

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover96engl.jpg>

Issue 96 of AqualogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>