[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter March 18th, 2011

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 6 de Abril de 2011 - 21:58:35 WEST

Caros colegas,

Já estou outra vez com mensagens em atraso.

Nos próximos dias vou tentar acertar o passo.

Entretanto aqui vai um número mais da newsletter da GLASER.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter March 18th, 2011

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

First successful import of Crenicichla zebrina!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/crenicichla%20zebrina%20mann2-ag.jpg>

We tried more than two years and were now successful at last: the first specimens of
this wonderful pike cichlid swim in our fishhouse! More next week.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/crenicichla%20zebrina%20subad-ag.jpg>

  _____

Brochis britskii und Brochis cf. splendens CW 35

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/brochis-britski-frau-ag.jpg>

Two features distinguish the species of Brochis from those of Corydoras: firstly, the
enormous size (up to 12 cm) and secondly, the high number of rays in the dorsal fin.
While Corydoras have 7-8 rays in the dorsal fin, in Brochis this fin has 10-18 rays.
Besides this both genera are distinguished by some externally invisible characters.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/brochis-britskii-mann1.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/brochis-britskii-mann2.jpg>

The species of Brochis that is most difficult to obtain is B. britskii from Mato
Grosso in Brazil. Thus it is quite expensive. And as it can be observed in many
expensive fishes, several myths are applied to that species by aquarists. One of
these myths says that the species can be recognized by the reddish colour of the fins
and the belly. However, that myth overlooks the fact that there is a second species
of Brochis found in the Mato Grosso, which is - technically speaking - belonging to
B. splendens, but imitates B. britskii perfectly regarding coloration.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/brochis-britski-fuer-dorsale.jpg>

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/brochis-splendens-dorsale.jpg>

Both species can be told apart by the shape of the dorsal fin. In B. britskii, the
spine and the first two rays of the dorsal fin form a kind of a hook. The posterior
part of that fin looks like if it would have been cut with a scissor. In the
imitating B. splendens, which has been given the code CW 35 by hobbyists, the dorsal
fin looks quite "normal". To be sure one can count also the finrays of the dorsal
fin: in B. britskii there are 15-18 rays, in B. cf. splendens CW 35 10-12 rays (like
in B. splendens).

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/brochis-splendens-cw35.jpg>

Keeping these beautiful Brochis is not difficult at all. They look most colourful
when kept at relatively high temperatures (26-28°C). However, it seems to be
necessary to imitate a dry season and low temperatures (around 20°C) to stimulate the
fish for breeding. The sexes can be told apart as in Corydoras, eg. males can be
recognized by the larger ventral fins.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/brochis-britskii-frau2.jpg>

For our customers: B. britskii has code 212005 on our stocklist, B. cf. splendens CW
35 212406. Please note that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Brochis: ancient Greek, means "noose", referring to an anatomical structure
at the barbels. splendens: Latin, means "splendid". britskii: dedication name for H.
Britski, ichthyologist at Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Suggestion of common names: Brochis britskii: Britski´s catfish. Brochis cf.
splendens CW 35: Mato-Grosso Emerald catfish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Apistogramma sp. Assurini

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/apistogramma-sp-assurini3.jpg>

Currently we received a new Apistogramma from Brazil, a close relative of the species
known as A. sp. Xingu in the hobby. Like most Apistogramma, A. sp. Xingu, which has
been imported in 1988 for the first time, has developed a number of varieties. Some
of them appear within one population, others seem to represent geographical forms.
The term "Assurini" seems to give a location (the Assurini are an indigenous tribe
that lives on the banks of the Rio Xingu), so it seems to make sense to keep the new
Apistogramma under this seperate name. It differs from the first known A. sp. Xingu
by the red spots in the face and the red stipe/dots on the flanks below the lateral
band.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/apistogramma-sp-assurini1.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/apistogramma-sp-assurini2.jpg>

This dwarf cichlid attains a length of about 6 cm (male) and 4 cm (female),
respectively. Like most fish from the Rio Xingu it prefers slightly higher water
temperatures (26 to 28°C). For breeding very soft and slightly acidic water is
necessary.

For our customers: the animals have code 627104 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Apistogramma: ancient Greek, means "with unreliable line". It is not known
whether the lateral line organ or the pattern is meant.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

L200 and L200a

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/Hemiancistrus-subviridis-L200.jpg>

Very much sought for is L200 from Venezuela that attains a maximum length of about 20
cm. Actually, there are two mimetic species that hide behind that L-number, which are
often confused, although they belong to even different genera. The real L200 is has
been described as Hemiancistrus subviridis. It can be easily recognized by the big
gap between the end of the dorsal fin and the beginning of the adipose fin. The
second species - called L200 Highfin or L200a in the trade - has been formally
deescribed as Baryancistrus demantoides. In this species dorsal and adipose fin are
connected. The depth of the dorsal fin is variable and of no use for differentiation
of the species. Both L200 are omnivorous with a large compound of vegetarian food.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/baryancistrus-demantoides-L200a.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 26480-L 200 (Hemiancistrus subviridis) and
26480-L 200A (Baryancistrus demantoides) on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/L200-L200a%281%29.jpg>

Lexicon: Hemiancistrus: ancient Greek, means "half an Ancistrus"; Ancistrus is
another genus of catfish. Baryancistrus: ancient Greek, means "heavy Ancistrus";
Ancistrus is another genus of catfish. demantoides: ancient Greek, means "looks like
a demantoid"; a demantoid is a garnet "that ranges in color from yellowish green to
brownish green" (Werneke et al., 2005). subviridis: Latin, means "greenish".

Suggestion of a common name: the terms  L200 for Hemiancistrus subviridis and L200
Highfin for Baryancistrus demantoides are so much in use that it makes no sense to
replace them.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

Literature:
Werneke, D. C., Sabaj, M. H., Lujan, N. K. & J. W. Armbruster (2005): Baryancistrus
dematoides and Hemiancistrus subviridis, two new uniquely colored species of catfish
from Venezuela (Siluriformes: Loricariidae). Neotropical Ichthyology 3 (4): 533-542

  _____

Gnathochromis permaxillaris arrived

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2011/kw%2011%2020
11/gnathochromis-mayland.jpg>

This week we received bred specimens of this very rare cichlid from Lake Tanganjika.
A breeding report can be found at http://www.aqualog.de/news/web3/3-7.pdf

For our customers: the fish has code 520703 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Gnathochromis: ancient Greek, means "jaw-chromis", referring to the very
special mouth structure. Chromis is another genus of fish. permaxillaris: latin,
means something about "jaw with a backback", also referring o the mouth structure

Suggestion of a common name: Vacuum cleaner cichlid

Text: Frank Schäfer, photo: H. J. Mayland/Aqualog archieves

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/CoverNews95engl.j
pg>

Issue 95 of TerralogNews is now available for free as a PDF via www.aqualog.de
<http://www.aqualog.de/> . Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>