[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter September 17th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quinta-Feira, 23 de Setembro de 2010 - 22:36:56 WEST

Olá a todos,

As actualizações estão quase a esgotarem-se ( chegou hoje apenas mais um número da
revista Practical Fishkeeping ).

Se tudo corre como planeado, esse número mais recente segue amanhã e depois haverão
ainda umas pequenas surpresas em reserva para vos enviar.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter September 17th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Zenarchopterus dunckeri

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2037%2020
10/zenarchopterus%20dunckeri1-ag.jpg>

There are 20 valid species in the genus Zenarchopterus, all of them occuring along
the Pacific coast of tropical Asia. The maximum length of Zenarchopterus is around 15
cm, only a few species are recorded to reach a greater length, most of them stay
smaller. The species are very similar to each other and the only safe way for a
positive identification of the species is via the external visible sexual organ of
the males. In males, the posterior part of the anal fin is modified to a mating organ
called andropodium. Only in one species, Z. quadrimaculatus, a melanophore pattern
exists, all other species are silvery.

Recently we were able to import Zenarchopterus from Taiwan. According to Taiwanese
literature, the only existing species of Zenarchopterus in Taiwan is Z. dunckeri. As
we have no adult male in the import (the specimens are around 8 cm long) we were not
able to verfy this identification, but have simply adopted the name.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2037%2020
10/zenarchopterus%20dunckeri2-ag.jpg>

Zenarchopterus are fascinating aquarium inhabitants that are swimming always close to
the water surface. In the wild they feed mainly on land-insects that fall in the
water, but in the aquarium they also feed happily on flake food. Against any
tankmates these fish are very peaceful, but they tend to panic and thus should not be
combined with "nasty" species. Most probably all species of Zenarchopterus are egg
layers, but there is so far no detailed breeding report available. Zenarchopterus are
typical estuarine fishes and thus prefer brackish water, although some species (among
them Z. dunckeri) can be found far upstreams and others also enter happily the open
sea. It is best to keep them in a salinity of 5-15 grams salt per litre.

For our customers: the fish have code 479304 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Zenarchopterus: ancient Greek, means "the one with a life-giving fin",
referring to the andropodium found in male fish. dunckeri: dedication name for Georg
Duncker, ichthyologist in the Zoologisches Museum Hamburg, who discovered (among
other species) the harlequin barb, Trigonostigma heteromorpha. quadrimaculatus:
Latin, means "with four spots".

Suggestion of a common name: Duncker´s river gar

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Lepomis megalotis

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2037%2020
10/lepomis%20megalotis%20mann-ag.jpg>

Sunfishes belong to the most colourful species of coldwater fish. The most widespread
species in the hobby is Lepomis gibbosus, but the genus comprises not less than 12
species.

Lepomis megalotis is native from NE-Mexico to the Great Lakes in the US and is
additionally introduced in many countries. Up to six subspecies have been described
within this large area, but as in so many other common species there is almost no
scientific research and so the systematics of the species are only poorly understood.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2037%2020
10/lepomis%20megalotis%20frau-ag.jpg>

The preferred habitat are clear waters with sandy and rocky bottom and submerse
vegetation. The largest specimen recorded was 24 cm long, but the common length is
around 11 cm.

Males grow to a bigger size than females, have larger "ears" (these flaps are
extensions of the operculum) and hardly show a pattern of vertical bars, which can be
recognized in females (depending on mood more or less visible).

The Longear sunfish may be quite rough in small tanks, a behaviour that can be found
in many cichlids as well. The fish feed readly on frozen and live food, but dried
food is most often refused. The water temperature may be beween 10 and 24°C. If the
keeper wants to breed with the fish, it is necessary to hibernate them at low
temperatures and (this is by far more important) lighting periods of less than 8
hours per day.

For our customers: the fish have code 883203 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Lepomis: ancient Greek, means "with scales on the operculum". megalotis:
ancient Greek, means " with a great ear".

Common name: Longear sunfish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Channa pleurophthalma

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2037%2020
10/channa%20pleurophthalma%20juv-ag.jpg>

Currently we have charming juveniles (4-6 cm long) of Channa pleurophthalma in stock.
Channa pleurophthalma can reach a maximum length of about 40 cm and is one of the
most beautiful species in the genus. It is restricted to the great Sunda islands
Sumatra and Borneo. In contrast to most other snakeheads this species swims often in
the open water column. Surprisingly this snakehead has proofed to be very peaceful
against tankmates, may they belong to their own or to another species. However, one
should always keep in mind that these snakeheads are large predatory fish with a
quite individual character.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2037%2020
10/channa%20pleurophthalma-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 409221 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Channa: ancient Greek, means "snapper", probably referring to the
airbreathing. pleurophthalma: ancient Greek, means "with many eyes".

Suggestion of a common name: Peacock snakehead

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover91.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/inhalt91e.jpg>

Issue No 91 of TERRALOGnews, English version, is now available as free download via
http://aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News91e.pdf. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>