[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter September 10th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 22 de Setembro de 2010 - 21:55:11 WEST

Caros colegas,

Aqui vai disto.

Amanhã há mais.

Maria João, atenção às Corydoras ;)

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter September 10th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Corydoras serratus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/corydoras%20serratus%20wf-4-ag.jpg>

The saddle-nosed Corydoras serratus from the upper Rio Negro in Brazil belongs to the
most wanted species of Corydoras. Due to the fact that the saddle-nosed species of
Corydoras are in general no schooling fish it is not possible to collect larger
numbers of them in an economically senseful way. This and the fact that there were
times in which exorbitant prizes were payed in Japan for this species made them real
rare in the trade for a long time.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/corydoras%20serratus%20wf-3-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/corydoras%20serratus%20wf-2-ag.jpg>

Nowadays there are some breeders of this beautiful species and one of them supplies
us with gorgeous bred specimens of Corydoras serratus. It is very interesting that
although the breeder uses only partent fish that fit perfectly to the original
description the offspring differes much individually in respect to coloration. Some
have only a vertical bar under the origin of the dorsal fin instead of the broad
horizontal bar over the back. This phenomenon was also observed in wild collected
specimens, but there was a good deal of uncertainty if not similar, but different
species were involved. Thus once more the aquarium hobbyists were able to answer a
question of ichthology.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/corydoras%20serratus%20wf-1-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the animals have code 245682 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Corydoras: from ancient greek, means "with helmet and spear". This refers to
the strong armor and fin spines. serratus: Latin, means "sawed", referring to the
strongly serrated pectoral spine.

Suggestion of a common name: Saddlenosed Goldpatch Cory

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Hippichthys penicillus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/hippichthys%20penicillus%20mann-ag.jpg>

Currently we were able to import a new species of freshwater pipefish from India:
Hippichthys penicillus. Basically speaking, there are two types of pipefish. First,
the ones that swim free in the water column, imitating  plant material (sticks etc.).
Twice the ones that are bottom-dwellers and crawl like snakes between plants, stones,
roots etc.. The most important aquarium pipe fish of that group is Enneacampus
ansorgii.

The species belonging to Hippichthys are in between those extremes. This is also true
for their habitat. They can be found in pure marine, brackish water and pure
freshwater environments. The technical term for that is euryhaline.

>From an aquarists point of view it is best to keep them in weakly brackish water
(about 3-5 grams salt per litre). The benefit of the salt is that Artemia, they
primary food resource for pipefish kept in aquaria, will stay longer alive; moreover
any potential salt requirement by the pipefish is thus fulfilled. Please use
exclusively salt that is manufactured for reef aquaria!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/hippichthys%20penicillus%20frau-ag.jpg>

The males of Hippichthys penicillus can be easily recognized by the prominent fold on
the belly which serves as a brood chamber. Besides this they also differ from the
females in respect of coloration. Males are deep black with silver shining spots,
wheras the females are much duller coloured. The fish become mature at a length of
6-8 cm, but according to literature they may reach a maximum length of 18 cm.

For our customers: the fish have code 421522 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Hippichthys: ancient Greek, means "horse-fish". penicillus: Latin, means
"brush"; this name was given referring to the finray-structures at the end of the
tail. Microphis: ancient Greek, means "little snake". Enneacampus: ancient Greek,
means "with nine coves", probably referring to the cross section. ansorgii:
dedication name.

Suggestion of a common name: Night sky pipefish

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Uaru amphiacanthoides "Manacapuru"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/uaru%20amphiacanthoides%20manacapuru1-ag.jpg>

Extremely beautiful, fully grown specimens of this amazonian species of cichlid
reached us now from Brazil. Uaru are peaceful fishes that can be best compared with
discus regarding demands on water quality and temperature. However, Uaru are more or
less specialized herbivorous fishes.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/uaru%20amphiacanthoides%20manacapuru2-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2036%2020
10/uaru%20amphiacanthoides%20manacapuru3-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 688517 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Uaru: after a term given by indigenous people to a toad. amphiacanthoides: ancient
Greek, meaning "similiar to an Amphiacanthus": Amph(i)acanthus is another genus of
fish, the name is nowadays regarded as a synonym of Siganus (rabbit fishes).

Common name: Triangle cichlid

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover91.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/inhalt91e.jpg>

Issue No 91 of TERRALOGnews, English version, is now available as free download via
http://aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News91e.pdf. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>