[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 6th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 15 de Setembro de 2010 - 22:02:14 WEST

Olá a todos,

Mais um esforço para vos actualizar...

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter August 6th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Hemiloricaria sp. GOLDEN LUTINO

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2031%2020
10/hemiloricaria%20sp%20golden-ag.jpg>

This wild collected specimen from Peru has a very unique colour aberration. Usually
such specimens cannot survive in the wild, but this fish is a healthy, adult animal.

For our customers: the fish has code 257924 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Hemiloricaria: ancient Greek, means "half loricaria"; loricaria is another
genus of catfish.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Ernstichthys megistus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2031%2020
10/astroblapus%20sp.%20dwarf%20bee%20peru%20gelb-ag.jpg>

For the first time we were able to import a very astonishing species of catfish,
which was known until 1985 from 3 specimens only. At the first glimpse the small
animals - they are hardly 2 cm long - remind one on the Asian catfishes of the genus
Akysis. Actually they are relatives of the banjo cats.

The reason why this and some close relatives, which are classified as tribe
Hoplomyzontini, are so little known lies probably in their way of life.
Hoplomyzontini seem to settle on the bottom of relatively fast running waters where
they burry themselves in the ground. As most of them are very small fishes they are
hardly ever collected by usual catching methods.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2031%2020
10/astroblapus%20sp.%20dwarf%20bee%20peru%20grau-ag.jpg>

Our specimens show a wide range of coloration, the extremes are grey ones and yellow
ones. It is unknown wether this represents sexual differences.

Athough our specimens proofed so far to be quite hardy, it seems necessary to provide
fine sand for them, which they use to burry themselves. The type specimen of
Ernstichthys megistus was collected in Ecuador and is around 7 cm long (standard
length without caudal fin). This is by far the largest size of any Hoplomyzontini
known so far, which usually hardly reach half that size. Also the other known stored
museum specimens of E. megistus, which originate from Peru, are much smaller (about 3
cm). Ernstichthys megistus is a fish we have much to learn about and aquaristis can
help with their observations to understand the life history of that fascinating
creature.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2031%2020
10/astroblapus%20sp.%20dwarf%20bee%20peru%20gruppe-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 253363 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Ernstichthys: dedication name, means "Fish of Ernst"; A. Ernst worked at the
Universidade Central de Venezuela. megistus: probably latinized form of the ancient
Greek word megistos, which means "the greatest".

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

Literatur: Stewart, D. J. (1985): A review of the South American catfish tribe
Hoplomyzontini (Pisces, Aspredinidae), with descriptions of new species from Ecuador.
Fieldiana Zoology (new series), No. 25

Suggestion of a popular name: Bumble bee banjo cat

  _____

Moema cf. ortegai

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2031%2020
10/moema%20cf%20ortegai%20mann2-ag.jpg>

We were able to import astonishing large Moema cf. oetrgai from Peru. The females are
around 8 cm, the males around 12 cm long. This places them among the largest species
of killifish known so far. The extremely large pectoral fins of the males are very
impressive. However, the whole finneage of the males is much enlarged and some fancy
bettas and fancy guppys must shame on them when looking at the Moema. The only
difference is that in this case not the human breeder but mother nature selected for
enlarged finneage.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2031%2020
10/moema%20cf%20ortegai%20mann%20portrait-ag.jpg>

Moema are bottom divers, this means the spawning pair dives deep in the bottom, where
the eggs  dwell during the dry season. The adults must die then and thus never become
old in the wild, but in captivity the can live much longer. The eggs need 5-10 months
to hatch.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2031%2020
10/moema%20cf%20ortegai%20frau-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 329905 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Moema: a city in Brazil. ortegai: dedication name.

Suggestion of a popular name: Golden giant longfin

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover91.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/inhalt91e.jpg>

Issue No 91 of TERRALOGnews, English version, is now available as free download via
http://aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News91e.pdf. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>