[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter October 22nd, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Terça-Feira, 26 de Outubro de 2010 - 21:37:51 WEST

Caros colegas,

Para além de magníficos Ciclídeos, neta edição há um curioso molusco.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter October 22nd, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Cichlasoma istlanum

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/cichlasoma%20istlanum%20my001-ag.jpg>

The large cichlids from Central America are a bit out of fashion currently. That is a
sad thing, for hardly any other fish combines in such a perfect matter brillant
coloration, personality and interesting behaviour. Of course these fish need large
tanks and an equipment that fits their needs, but if these things are given any
aquarist will for sure enjoy keeping them.

One of the rare species in the hobby is Cichlasoma istlanum (the generic position of
this species is still an unresolved problem, Cichlasoma is for sure wrong). This
splendid species is endemic in the Rio Balsas system in Mexico. Here the fish also
represents the only naturally occurring species of cichlid. Males can grow up to 30
cm in length, females always stay smaller. This makes the fish one of the important
food fish in the region. Sadly the species is more and more under pressure due to the
introduced Amatitlania nigrofasciatum (Zebra cichlid). Although C. istlanum is much
larger and stronger than A. nigrofasciatum, the latter reproduces much faster and
very often in the year. C. istlanum, on the other side, sometimes reproduces only
once per year!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/cichlasoma%20istlanum%20mann-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/cichlasoma%20istlanum%20frau-ag.jpg>

We now have this beautiful fish in stock. Our specimens are German bred. The species
is sexually active already at a length of 8-10 cm. The sexes can be distinguished
easily by the different coloration.

For our customers: the fish have code 651503 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Cichlasoma: ancient Greek, means "with the body of a Cichla": Cichla is
another genus of cichlid. istlanum: latinized from the Rio Ixtla, the type locality.
Amatitlania: referring to Lake Amatitlan in Guatemala, the type locality of the type
species, A. nigrofasciatum. nigrofasciatum: Latin, means "with black stripes".

Suggestion of a common name: Rio Ixtla cichlid, Red bellied cichlid

Text: Frank Schäfer, photos: Hans J. Mayland & Frank Schäfer

Literature:
MacBeath, T. C. (1991): Zebras in Mexiko. Die Aquarien- und Terrarienzeitschrift
(DATZ) 44 (5): 305 - 307
Miller, R. R. (2005): Freshwater Fishes of Mexico. Chicago, 490 pp.

  _____

Apistogramma panduro var. "Marsel"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/apistogramma%20sp%20marsel%20mann-ag.jpg>

We were able to import this new dwarf cichlid from Peru now. The fish is without any
doubt a close relative of the species Apistogramma nijsseni, A. panduro and the still
undescribed A. sp. "Inka II". In contrast to these species the seam around the caudal
fin in males is yellow instaed of red-orange. The tailspot looks most like A.
nijsseni. Like all dwarf cichlids of that group the males have bright blue shining
scales.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/apistogramma%20sp%20marsel%20frau-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the animals have code 626224 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Apistogramma: ancient Greek, means "with unreliable line". It is not known
whether the lateral line organ or the pattern is meant. panduro: dedication name.
nijsseni: dedication name.

Suggestion of a common name: Yellowseam Panda Dwarf Cichlid

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Taia naticoides

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/taia%20naticoides%20mama%20mit%20babies-ag.jpg>

This nice, live bearing snail could be imported again from Inle lake in Burma. It is
a close relative to the European species of Viviparus (river snails). Like these they
feed on soft particles like mouldered food tablets, detritus etc. They do not fit for
fights against algae. On the other hand they also leave plants completely unharmed.

As they come from subtropical regions they are suited to a broad array of
temperatures and can be kept between 15 and 28°C. It is a very slow and calm species
of snail. Like many other river snails they a sensitive against bad water conditions.
Thus their aquarium should be kept with the very same attention as in keeping fish.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/taia%20naticoides%20mann-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/taia%20natcoides%20braun-ag.jpg>

In these snails males and females exist. The sexes can be easily distinguished by the
broad and circled right antennae of the male. Coloration and shape of the shell are
not usable for distinguishing the sexes, as both characters are very variable.
Although in general only the very nice black-and-white specimens are traded they can
be also uniformly brown.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2042%2020
10/taia%20naticoides%20frisst-ag.jpg>

The young ones are about 2-4 mm heigh when born. It seems that the females can
produce offspring of different sizes. Adult snails may reach about 35 mm. The species
likes to burry itself from time to time and thus at least a part of the aquarium
bottom should be of fine and soft sand.

For our customers: the animals have code 488253 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Taia: not explained in the original description. As the word has very
different meanings in Latin, ancient Greek, and Sanskrit, it makes no sense to
speculate here. It may also be an indigenous name for snails at Inle lake.
naticoides: means "similar to naticus". viviparus: Latin, means "livebearing".

Suggestion of a common name: Nubby piano snail

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News92e01%20Kopie
.jpg>

Issue 92 of AQUALOGnews is now available at www.aqualog.de as a free download. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>