[Cyprinodontiformes] FW: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter October 15th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sábado, 16 de Outubro de 2010 - 21:41:37 WEST

Caros colegas,

Aqui vai o último número da "newsletter" Glaser com algumas sugestões fora do comum e
uma invejável colecção de discos.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter October 15th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Leptodoras from Peru

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/leptodoras%20acipenserinus%20schwimmt-ag.jpg>

Leptodoras acipenserinus

The genus Leptodoras belongs to the Thorny catfishes (Doradidae). Currently 10
species are recognized inside the genus, occurring in all larger cis-Andean rivers in
the northern half of South America. Five of them come from Peru, and we were able to
import two species from there. Especially juveniles of different Leptodoras species
partially  look extremely similar to each other. Leptodoras may reach a total length
of about 20 cm, but stay usually much smaller.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/leptodoras%20acipenserinus%20paar-ag.jpg>

Leptodoras acipenserinus

Typical features of Leptodoras are the slender body, the long, conical snout and the
oral hood, formed by the barbels that are connected by membranes. In nature these
fish prefer sandy substrates and feed mainly on bloodworm and detritus; at least this
was found in their stomach. Beside this the stomach contained sand.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/leptodoras%20acipenserinus%20schwimmt%20barteln-ag.jpg>

Leptodoras acipenserinus

The fish have proofed to be schooling fish in the aquarium that are always looking
for conspecifics. They are very lively and day-active. Interestingly even in our
about half-grown fish the sexes can be told apart: males are more slender and have a
comparatively longer head. We were also able to observe first intentions of mating in
our fish. The males swim from above on the back of the female and "ride" on her.
Besides this the usual displays could be observed, like swimming with extremely
spread fins, hunting each other etc. Thus it seems absolutely possible to breed the
fish under aquarium conditions. Nothing is known about their breeding behavior in the
wild.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/leptodoras%20cf%20cataniai-ag.jpg>

Leptodoras cf. cataniai

In the last revision of the genus Mark Sabaj distinguishes the "typical" Leptodoras
cataniai from blackwaters of the Negro and Casiquare and two additional "forms",
which he names L. cf. cataniai, one from the Rio Nanay in Peru and one from the
Amazon. Our animals thus belong to the Nanay form of L. cf. cataniai.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/leptodoras%20cf%20cataniai%20schnauze-ag.jpg>

Leptodoras cf. cataniai

For our customers: L. cf. cataniai has code 266053 on our stocklist (they are about
8-10 cm long), L. acipenserinus has code 265954 (at a length of about 10-12 cm).
Please note that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Leptodoras: means "slender Doras". Doras is another genus of catfish.
acipenserinus: means "similar to a sturgeon". cataniai: dedication name for David
Catania, collection manager of fishes at the California Academy of Sciences. cf.:
from Latin "confer", which means "compare with". It is used when it is not sure that
the species in question represents really the one named after cf. cis-Andean: the
latin syllable "cis" means "within", in this case it means the inland part of South
America as seen from the Andes.

Suggestions of common names: Leptodoras acipenserinus: Sturgeon-like thorny cat, L.
cataniai: Catania ´s slender thorny cat.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

Literature: Sabaj, M. H. (2005): Taxonomic assessment of Leptodoras (Siluriformes:
Doradidae) with descriptions of three new species. Neotropical Ichthyology 3 (4):
637-678

  _____

Discus champions on a visit

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/green%20wild-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/HECKEL2-ag.jpg>

Once more our Japanese friend Mr Akira Ishinabe has placed his discus he displayed in
the current discus championship in Duisburg in our facility to give them an
opportuntity to rest a bit after the stress of the exhibition before they turn back
home to Japan. His Green Wild was able to get the first prize, his Heckel the second
prize in their respective categories. Congratulations!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/buttermilk%20albino-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/flaechentuerkis%20mann-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/flaechentuerkis%20frau-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/LEOPARD-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/red%20passion-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/red%20spotted%20green%20snakeskin-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/rottuerkis%20mann-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/rottuerkis%20frau-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/royal%20blue-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/snakeskin%20green%20mann-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/snakeskin%20green%20frau-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/solid%20green%20mann-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/solid%20green%20frau-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/tiger%20stripe-ag.jpg>
Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Cichlasoma atromaculatum

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/cichlasoma%20atromaculatum%20mann-ag.jpg>

We were able to import a small number of this gorgeous cichlid, which can grow up to
20 cm in length. It belongs to the Central American cichlid relationship, but can be
found in the borderland between Central and South America: in Central America, it
colonizes the eastern parts of Panama, in South America it lives in northern
Colombia. The latter area is the origin of our specimens.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/cichlasoma%20atromaculatum%20frau-ag.jpg>

Males and females can be distinguished by the facts that males become larger and have
pointed dorsal and anal fins, which are blunt in females. In breeding condition both
sexes develop deep red bellies.

The fish are typical open brooders with biparental care. Cichlasoma atromaculatum
belongs to the very few species of New World cichlids which could not yet placed in a
proper genus. The placement in Cichlasoma is surely wrong and will be altered one
day.

For our customers: the fish have code 639004 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Cichlasoma: ancient Greek, means "with the body of a Cichla": Cichla is
another genus of cichlid. atromaculatum: Latin, means "black blotched".

Suggestion of a common name: Black spot cichlid

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Trigonostigma heteromorpha wild

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/trigonostigma%20heteromorpha%20wild%20mann-ag.jpg>

The harlequin barb (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) belongs to the most common ornamental
fish at all. Almost all individuals in the trade are bred ones and thus the (wrong)
impression can take place that all wild populations of this fish look the same. Now
we were able to import an extraordinary pretty wild variety of this barb. It is so
colorful that it almost looks tawdry. Especially the males seem to glow from inside.
The females are a bit duller in coloration, they miss the red stripe on the back.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2041%2020
10/trigonostigma%20heteromorpha%20wild%20frau-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 452535 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Trigonostigma: ancient Greek, means "with a triangular spot". heteromorpha:
ancient Greek, means "with different shape". This refers to the deep body compared
with the other species of Rasbora known at the time.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News92e01%20Kopie
.jpg>

Issue 92 of AQUALOGnews is now available at www.aqualog.de as a free download. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>