[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter October 1st, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Quarta-Feira, 6 de Outubro de 2010 - 22:48:27 WEST

Prezados colegas,

Antes que perca outra oportunidade e me atrase ainda mais alguns dias... aqui vão as
novidades da Glaser.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter October 1st, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Leporinus sp. "Strawberry"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2039%2020
10/leporinus%20aff%20granti%20strawberry%201-ag.jpg>

Currently we were able to import the most beautiful species of Leporinus we have ever
seen from Brazil. As the determination of juvenile Leporinus is almost impossible in
many cases we decided to adopt the exporter's name given for the fish on his
stocklist.

Without any doubt, however, the new fish belongs to a group of Leporinus closely
related to (or identical with) Leporinus granti, a species known so far from the
Guianas only. It is mentioned in the elder aquarium literature also under the name of
Leporinus "maculatus". The good news is that so far no species of this group is known
to grow larger than 15 - 20 cm, most stay even smaller. Another positive announcement
from an aquarist's point of view is the fact that L. granti (or a very close relative
of it) is the only Leporinus species that has been bred successfully in aquaria so
far. The fish are egg-scatters that do not care for their brood in any way.

Like all Leporinus, L. sp. "Strawberry" is a plant eater and has a very vigorous
pecking order. Thus it is much easier to keep two fish of different sizes together
than animals of equal size. In specimens of different size it is quite clear who is
the stronger one and so there is no need for fighting. In specimens of equal size
they fight every day to find out who is the stronger one and this results in ruffled
fins.

Our exporter kindly supplied us with the following informations on the natural
habitat of the species: This species was collected in the upper Tapajos area. It was
found in Igarape in blackwater. At the collection site the water depth is 0.80-2.00 m
and comfortable flow. They live in groups of 2-6 pieces along with Aequidens spp.,
Hemigrammus spp., Corydoras cf xinguensis, Otocinclus spp. etc..

For our customers: the fish have code 265892 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Leporinus: Latin, means "hare-nose". granti: dedication name for "Mr.
William Grant, my most efficient Indian guide on the Potaro, who later made
additional collections, which among other new species contained this." (Eigenmann,
1912). maculatus: Latin, means "spotted".

Suggestion of a common name: Strawberry-Leporinus

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Nothobranchius cardinalis

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2039%2020
10/nothobranchius%20cardinalis%20mann-ag.jpg>

We currently have this beautiful nothobranch as bred specimens in stock. Nothobranchs
are in general extremely beautiful fish, but this species is even more beautiful due
to its deep red colours and the minuite size.

The species is already known in the hobby for quite a long time. In Aqualog
"Killifishes of the World - Old World Killis II" it is listed under the name of
Nothobranchius sp. aff. rubripinnis. It was described finally scientifically as
Nothobranchius cardinalis in 2008.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2039%2020
10/nothobranchius%20cardinalis%20frau-ag.jpg>

The species originates from Tanazania where it inhabits periodically dry affluents of
the Mbwemkuru river. These killis are typical annual fishes.

For our customers: the fish have code 330403 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Nothobranchius: from ancient Greek "nothos" = false, untrue and "branchion"
= gill, referring to the gill anatomy. cardinalis: in allusion to the blood red
garment of cardinals. rubripinnis: Latin, means "with red fins".

Suggestion of a common name: Cardinal killi, Mbwemkuru nothobranch

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

In stock again: Corydoras eques

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2039%2020
10/eques.JPG>

At last we can offer the wonderful Corydoras eques again. For more information and
additional pictures of the fish, please click
http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/corydoras-eques_de_1139.html

For our customers: the fish have code 227814 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Suggestion of a common name: Golden neck cory

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/News92e01%20Kopie
.jpg>

Issue 92 of AQUALOGnews is now available at www.aqualog.de as a free download. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>