[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter February 12th, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sábado, 6 de Março de 2010 - 18:06:00 WET

Aqui vai outra mensagem em atraso :-(

Um abraço

Miguel

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter February 12th, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Templa
te/head1_small.jpg>

Once more: Schismatogobius ampluvinculus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/dicke%20frau.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/454812-schismato%20paar.jpg>

The animal on the left picture and the one of the pair in front of the right
picture is the very same specimen.

Last week we introduced to you the charming goby Schismatogobius
ampluvinculus. We guessed at the time that only the juveniles would display
the attractive black-and-white coloration. The scientific literature on the
species gives a maximum length of 2.69 cm. Our largest specimens had around
5 cm. Readers of the newsletter suggested that the large, greyish specimens
would belong to a different, larger species (Schismatogobius roxasi or S.
sp. "marmor" (="marbled")) and that the black-and-white animals would not be
juveniles but the only true S. ampluvinculus.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/duenne%20frau1.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/duenne%20frau2.jpg>

Again, both pictures show the same fish!

We still had the animals photographed the week before in the photo tank, and
look: the large female (30 mm standard length, 35 mm total length) displayed
the nice black-and-white pattern! So it seems to be a fact that S.
ampluvinculus displays an extreme color-changing due to mood changes and
that the species becomes in fact larger than suggest so far in the
scientific literature.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Hemiloricaria beni

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/257942-hemiloricaria%20beni.jpg>

Now we can offer the smallest known species of whiptail catfish:
Hemiloricaria beni. It hardly becomes longer than 8 cm. As this species
occurs only in Bolivia and no commercal exportations from Bolivia appear, we
offer only bred ones. Initially Swiss aquarists collected this species on a
private collecting trip in 1997. Since then a stable aquarium population of
this cute species has been established.

For our customers: the fish have code 257942 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale market.

Lexicon: Hemiloricaria: hemi is ancient Greek and means "half", loricaria is
another genus of whiptail catfish. beni: named after the Rio Beni in Bolivia
where the species occurs endemicly.

Text & photo: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Barbus stoliczkanus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/372304-stoliczka%20mann%20oben.jpg>

This is a close relative of the well known Rosy barb, Barbus conchonius.
Currently we have wonderful wild collected ones from Burma in stock. The
barb becomes maximum 5 cm long. Interstingly, they show a hierarchy by the
coloration of the fins. In a school of these barbs the male with the highest
rank shows the most black in the dorsal, ventral and anal fins. Females have
no black markings in these fins at all.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/372304-stolicka%20mann%20vorn.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/372304-stoliczka%20frau.jpg>

Stoliczka´s barb is an undemanding fish which thrives best when kept under
most natural conditions. This means, in summer temperature may rise up to
28°C, whereas on the other hand in winter it may fall as low as 14-16°C.
However, any sudden change of water temperature has do be avoided. The barbs
show their most brilliant colours when the sun is allowed to shine on them
at least a bit per day. Just look at the photos: in the first picture the
flashlight comes mainly from above, in the second mainly from front. One may
think two different species are illustrated. In fact, both pictures show
even the very same indiviual.

For our customers: the barb has code 372304 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Barbus: Latin, means "the bearded one", referring to the barbels.
conchonius: from a common name for the fish in Bengal. stoliczkanus:
dedicated to the collector of the species, Ferdinand Stoliczka (1838-1874).

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Discus wild Heckel/Jatapu

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/discus%20heckel:japatu1.jpg>

The series of astonishing wild collected discus we are able to offer right
now does not break off. Besides the wonderful Royal Blue which we introduced
to you last week, we also have excellent Heckel blue-head said to come the
Jatapu river. This branch of the Amazon river has an unique mix of fauna
found usually either in black or in white water. It is also very interesting
that among our Heckel blue-head also some Gipsy Blue discus appear as
by-catch.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/discus%20heckel:japatu5.jpg>

For our customers: the animals have code 735055 on our stocklist. Please
note that we exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Channa sp. "Dwarf Redfin"

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/409364-PAAR2.jpg>

This is a breathtaking, small (if compared with other Channa species: around
15 cm) snakehead from Burma. It is for sure a very close relative of Channa
gachua, but represents an undescribed species which can be recognized by the
bright orange-red spots near the eyes.

A very special feature of that species is a sexual dichromatism, at least
judging from the very few specimens known currently. Otherwise the sexes can
be distinguished by the broader head of the male, as usual in the Channa
gachua group.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/409364-.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/409364-PAAR1.jpg>

The species lives in brooks and so a relatively strong current is
appropriate for them. Although the water temperature in the species´ range
in Burma can fall below 20°C, it has been proven to keep them best at
temperatures between 22 and 24°C.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%
206%202010/409364-PORTRAIT.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 409364 on our stocklist. Please note
that we exclusively supply the wholesale maket.

Lexicon: Channa: ancient Greek, means about "the one that snaps for
something". It is said that this refers to the air-gulping. gachua: the
Bengal term for the species.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage
<http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>  to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Templa
te/foot1_small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to
unsubscribe this newsletter or if you want to change your email address,
please do it on our newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in
total or parts is only allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH.
If you have any question, comment or inspiration, please contact us under
info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE
113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are
subject to the copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise
indicated. Any duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast
and reproduction or transmission of the contents without written approval
from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie
<http://www.aspiria.de>

Nenhum vírus encontrado nessa mensagem recebida.
Verificado por AVG - www.avgbrasil.com.br
Versão: 9.0.730 / Banco de dados de vírus: 271.1.1/2726 - Data de
Lançamento: 03/06/10 07:39:00