[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter July 23rd, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sábado, 31 de Julho de 2010 - 17:24:16 WEST

Caros colegas,

Mais algumas boas sugestões.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter July 23rd, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Copeina cf osgoodi

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/copeina%20cf%20osgoodi%20mann%20seitlich-ag.jpg>

At least in Germany members of the genus Copeina are pretty well known, which is
reflected by the fact that an accepted common name exists: Forellensalmler, which
means "trout tetra". However, this knowledge is rather outdated and nowadays the fish
can be regarded as real rarities in the hobby. There are only two accepted species in
Copeina, namely C. gutta and C. osgoodi. Both can be distinguished from each other
only by internal features of the dentition and the collecting site: C. guttata is
known from the central Amazon basin in Brazil, and C. osgoodi from the upper Amazon
in Peru (following Géry, 1978).

We received our beautiful specimens from Peru. Depending on the light  they look
quite different. Lateral illumination makes them shining bright blue, light from the
top highlights the red spots on the scales and the orange red finnage.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/copeina%20cf%20osgoodi%20frau%20seitlich-ag.jpg>

According to the scientific literature C. osgoodi becomes  5.1 cm long (standard
length, eg without caudal fin) and C. guttata 7.6 cm. Aquarium literature gives even
15 cm for C. guttata (of course with caudal fin).

Keeping Copeina is very interesting due to their broodcare. They spawn on roots,
stones, leaves, etc. and even in holes in the sand. The male defends the breeding
territory against all other fishes, including the female. This ends when the brood
swims free. The males are larger and more colorful, compared with the females.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/copeina%20cf%20osgoodi%20mann%20v%20oben-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the fish have code 219893 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Copeina: Dedicated to E. D. Cope, an ichthylogist with worldwide reputation.
osgoodi: dedication name. guttata: Latin, means "speckled".

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

Literature: Géry, J. (1977): Characoids of the World. Neptune City.

  _____

Macrobrachium brasiliense

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/macrobrachium%20brasiliense%20mann%20neu-ag.jpg>

Most freshwater shrimps that are established in the hobby originate from Asia and
Afrika. Not even one species from South America has become a permanent aquarium
inhabitant. There are several reasons for that, but the most important one is the
fact that in most species from South America the larvae develop in marine
environments. This makes it pretty difficult to raise them under aquarium conditions.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/macrobrachium%20brasiliense%20mann-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/macrobrachium%20brasiliense%20frau-ag.jpg>

Now we were able to import Macrobrachium brasiliense from Peru, one of the very few
species of Macrobrachium from South America with large eggs that can be bred quite
easily in home aquaria. Males of that shrimp become around 8.5 cm, females around 5
cm long (body length only). The species has a wide distribution in South America. It
prefers soft and slightly acidic water, but thrives also well in medium hard water.

The very attractive species - coloration changes a lot depending on mood and
equipment and can be anything from whitish to deep reddish brown - is at least the
first choice for biotope aquaria with fishes from South America.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/macrobrachium%20brasiliense%20juv-ag.jpg>

For our customers: the animals have code 484383 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Macrobrachium: ancient Greek, means "with big arm". brasliense: means
"coming from Brazil".

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Clibanarius africanus with white shells!

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/clibanarius%20mit%20pachymelania-ag.jpg>

The charming hermit crab Clibanarius africanus has become a very popular aquarium
inhabitant. It is an euryhalin species, which means that it can survive in both pure
fresh and pure marine water. However, it seems that it can live in pure freshwater
only for a few months, so it is much better to keep it in brackish water. Clibanarius
are detritus feeders. Detritus is composed from several dead stuff of plants and
animals. In the aquarium, Clibanarius feed readily on any typical fish food.

Usually C. africanus are imported with the brown snail shells of the snail species
Tympanotonus fuscatus. This time almost all specimens have very pretty white snail
shells from the snail species Pachymelania aurita.

For more informations on the hermit crab, please click
http://aqualog.de/news/web69/69-17-19e.pdf

For our customers: the crabs have code 483123 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Clibanarius: term for a heavily armoured cavalryman. africanus: means "comes
from Africa".

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Aplocheilus blockii

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2029%2020
10/aplocheilus%20blockii-ag.jpg>

The Green panchax is one of the tiniest and most beautiful species of panchax in
Asia. Its maximum length is around 3 cm, at least as far as wild collected specimens
are concerned. Aquarium specimens may become a bit larger due to the paradise-like
aquarium conditions. The absolutely peaceful animals are ideally suited for the so
called nano-aquaria. Regarding water chemestry the species is not demanding at all,
but very soft or very acidic water should be avoided. In the case such a water runs
out of the tap, one should add a teaspoon of salt (for reef aquaria) per 10 litres of
water.

Live food is very much wanted, but the fish also feed readily on frozen or dried food
items. The Green panchax ignores plants with the exeption of spawning. Here the fish
prefers the roots of small swimming plants like Salvinia.

For our customers: the fish have code 303213 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Aplocheilus: means "with a simple lip", refers to the mouth structure.;
blockii: dedication name.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

  <http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover91.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/inhalt91e.jpg>

Issue No 91 of TERRALOGnews, English version, is now available as free download via
http://aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News91e.pdf. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>