[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter December 3rd, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Sábado, 4 de Dezembro de 2010 - 17:25:31 WET

Prezados colegas,

Mais uma vez não há novidades em relação aos Cyprinodontiformes... mas há, como
sempre umas raridades curiosas.

Esta empresa não deixa de me surpreender e ainda bem que temos cá firmas a importarem
directamente da GLASER.

A crise é que nos altera os planos por vezes. Haja paciência e bom senso.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: Miguel Andrade
Assunto: Aquarium Glaser Newsletter December 3rd, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Lamprologus signatus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2048%2020
10/lamprologus%20signatus%20mann-ag.jpg>

This beautiful cichlid from Lake Tanganyika belongs to the dwarf cichlids. Males
become around 5.5 cm, females around 3.5 cm long. At the first glimpse one would
think that these tiny fish are "snail brooders", e.g. that the females would spawn
only in empty snail shells. However, this is not true. In their natural habitat these
cichlids settle on muddy bottom. Here they dig tubes in the ground of about 1 cm
diameter which can be up to 12 cm long. Although L. signatus accepts empty snail
shells in the aquarium this is only an "emergency program", which is used in case
they have no other opportunity. In contrast to almost all other species of
Lamprologus the eggs of L. signatus are not adhesive at all. This is a special
adaption to their type of breeding, as there is no opportunity nor any benefit in
attaching eggs in a mudhole.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2048%2020
10/lamprologus%20signatus%20frau-ag.jpg>

Keeping Lamprologus signatus is very easy. The males are very aggressive against each
other, so it is best to keep the fish by pair or one male with a number of females.
Like all cichlids from Lake Tanganyika L. signatus prefers hard, slightly alcalic
water and temperatures of about 25 to 28°C. In nature they feed on small animals, in
the aquarium they accept readily any type of usual fishfood that fits the mouth.

For our customers: the fish have code 549401 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Lamprologus: means "the one that wears gloss"; refers to the shining spots
on each scale of L. congoensis, the type species. signatus: Latin, means "the marked
one".

Suggestion of a common name: Tanganyika Zebra Dwarf Cichlid

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Monocirrhus polyacanthus

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2048%2020
10/monocirrhus%20braun-ag.jpg>

The Leaffish, Monocirrhus polyacanthus, belongs to the most astonishing species of
freshwater fish at all. The species - the genus Monocirrhus is monotypical - is
spread all over the Amazon basin. It is found in Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, and
Venezuela. Our imports usually come from Peru, so the current one does.

The Leaffish belongs to the family Nandidae, which is a member of the perch-like
order. Quite few genera and species are known, which come from tropical regions in
Asia, Africa, and South America. This unusual distribution clearly shows that the
nandids are an old family that existed already at a time when these three continents
still formed a single land mass.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2048%2020
10/monocirrhus%20rot-ag.jpg>

Most Leaffish are brownish and marbled. Both coloration and body shape imitate
perfectly a dead leaf that is drifting in the water. This is the way the up to 12 cm
long fish utilizes to come near to its prey: small, live fish, which form almost
exclusively their diet. As soon as it is close enough, the Leaffish snaps with its
bag-like, accordeon-shaped mouth and swallows the prey as a whole.

Our recent import contained some very pretty, brick-red specimens. Bright yellow
Leaffish are also known. Nobody knows, if these colour morphs are restricted to
special habitats or if any brood can contain a number of each colour morph. In any
case the different coloration is no result of sexual dichromatism. Distinctive
differences in the sexes are missing in Monocirrhus.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2048%2020
10/monocirrhus%20rot%20und%20marmoriert-ag.jpg>
<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2048%2020
10/monocirrhus%20frontal-ag.jpg>

The Leaffish is a substrate spawner. The male takes care for the eggs until they
hatch. In an aquarium, the Leaffish needs very clean, soft, and acidic water to
thrive well. Only hobbyists that can guarantee the long term supply with small live
feeder fish should keep these fascinating predators.

Lexicon: Monocirrhus: latin, means "with one thread", referring to the fleshy barbel
at the chin. polyacanthus: ancient Greek, means "with many spines".

Common name: (South American) Leaffish

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Centropomus unionensis

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2048%2020
10/centropomus%20unionensis1-ag.jpg>

The snooks (Centropomus) are distributed in the New World; currently 12 species are
recognized. Persons that are reminiscent of giant perches (Lates) by looking at
snooks are not wrong: until quite recently the snooks and the giant perches were
united in a single family, Centropomidae.

We were now able to import a pretty species of snooks for the very first time from
Colombia (Pacific slope). Initially we had some problems to identify the species, but
were successful finally: our fish belong to the species Centropomus unionensis. This
snook becomes around 40 cm long. On the other hand, the largest known species of
snook can reach 120 cm, the smallest only 20 cm total length.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2048%2020
10/centropomus%20unionensis2-ag.jpg>

Snooks are rather marine fish, but many species enter brackish water regularly and
some even pure fresh water. Among the latter is Centropomus unionensis. However, we
are not able to decide whether it is possible to keep this species in a long time
sight in pure fresh water and thus recommend adding some salt to the water.

Against conspecifics our 5-8 cm long specimens are very peaceful. They can be even
characterized as schooling fish. Friends of unusual predatory fish will like this one
for sure!

For our customers: the fish have code 214661 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Centropomus: ancient Greek, means "thorn-cover"; this probably refers to the
spiny operculum. unionensis: after the type locality, Bay of Union, El Salvador.

Suggestion of a common name: Union snook

Text & Photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/newstitel/cover94%20engl.jp
g>

Issue 94 of AQUALOGnews is now available at www.aqualog.de as a free download. Enjoy!

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>