[Cyprinodontiformes] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter April 2nd, 2010

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Segunda-Feira, 5 de Abril de 2010 - 23:25:59 WEST

Caros colegas,

Hoje temos novidades interessantes nesta " newsletter ".

Não deixem de ler as considerações sobre a Priapella chalumae, uma espécie invulgar
no comércio em Portugal.

Um abraço

Miguel Andrade

  _____

De: Aquarium Glaser GmbH [mailto:info  aquariumglaser.de]
Enviada: Nenhum
Para: cyprinodon  clix.pt
Assunto: [Provavel SPAM] Aquarium Glaser Newsletter April 2nd, 2010

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/head1_
small.jpg>

Strophidon sathete

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2012%2020
10/SATHETE.JPG>

For the first time now we have some specimens of the largest moray eel of the world
in stock: Strophidon sathete. This species originates from brackish water regions.
They inhabit the very same habitats (lower reaches of rivers) as the common
freshwater moray, Gymnothorax tile. Both can be kept like scats or monos: they are
completely tolerant for both pure freshwater and pure marine water (euryhaline), but
for long time keeping it is highly recommended to add 10-20 grams seesalt/litre
water.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2012%2020
10/SATHETE2.JPG>

Against conspecifics this species is very peaceful. However, they try to feed on any
other fish that seem to fit their mouth (and the mouth is really large!). Thus it is
best to keep them in a one-species tank. S. sathete can reach the amazing total
length of around 4 metres! It is so rare and relatively expensive in the ornamental
fish trade, because they have to be collected by hand and in single specimens. They
live very secretely and have to be burried out of the ground. In the aquarium they
also tend to hide very much in the beginning, but they learn that the keeper means
food after some time. The tank must be absolutely safely covered, otherwise the
morays will break out. They feed on large meat, like whole fish, pieces of fish,
shrimps, etc...

For our customers: the fish has code 456134 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexikon: Strophidon: not explained in the original description, but probably from
ancient Greek, meaning "with teeth turned backwards". sathete: after the vernacular
name of the species in Bengal.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Gobiopterus chuno

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2012%2020
10/418133-gobiopterus%20mann.jpg>

Glass perches and glass catfish are well known and common aquarium fish. But do you
know glass gobies, too? The members of the genus Gobiopterus (there are so far 9
known species) are tiny freshwater gobies. They reach only 2-3 cm length and are so
transparent that the observer can see how a food item wanders from the mouth to the
inevitable end.

Currently we were able to import Gobiopterus chuno from Bengal. This glass goby is a
schooling fish and lives - in contrast to most other species of goby - free swimming
in the water column. The behaviour of that fish is best comparable with that of the
Cardinal tetra. Often the fish stand in the water, twitching with the fins; and then
they swim around in schools again.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2012%2020
10/418133-gobiopterus%20frau.jpg>

These gobies feed on live and frozen food. It is the easiest thing to feed them with
Artemia nauplii, which are taken readily. Gobiopterus can also be found in brackish
water. So it is possible to add a spoonful of seasalt per 10 litres of water. This
makes the Artemia live longer.

In nature, these tiny gobies reproduce the whole year through. The genital papillae
of males and females look different, moreover the eggs in ripe females can be
observed in the belly. By the way: the red spot behind the swimming bladder is the
liver. It contains so much blood that it looks red due to the erythrocytes.

For our customers: the fish have code 418133 on our stocklist.  Please note that we
exclusively supply to the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Gobiopterus: ancient Greek, means "goby with wings". chuno: after the
vernacular name of the species in Bengal.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

Priapella chamulae

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2012%2020
10/444483-chamulae%20mann.jpg>

We obtained a good number of this quite rare livebearer from a German breeder.
Priapella are specialized fish. The best known species in the hobby is for sure
Priapella intermedia. Like this species, P. chamulae has brillant blue eyes.

Priapella are schooling fish that live near the surface in brooks. These conditions,
eg keeping in schools (10 specimens or more), good current, and oxygen-rich water
have to be imitated in the aquarium, too, otherwise one will have only little fun
with Priapella.

<http://www.aquariumglaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/News-Pics/2010/kw%2012%2020
10/444483-chamulae%20paar.jpg>

Priapella chalumae is a medium sized species and reaches about 6 cm length.

For our customers: the fish have code 444483 on our stocklist. Please note that we
exclusively supply the wholesale trade.

Lexicon: Priapella: ancient Greek, means "small penis". chamulae: after the
indigenous tribe of the Chamula, which live in the region in Mexico where the species
is found.

Text & photos: Frank Schäfer

  _____

...and please do not forget to visit our homepage <http://www.aquariumglaser.com/en/>
to get weekly updates !

  _____

<http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/backend/FCK/UserFiles/Image/Newsletter/Template/foot1_
small.jpg>

This newsletter is a free service of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you want to unsubscribe
this newsletter or if you want to change your email address, please do it on our
newsletter-webside. A distribution of this newsletter in total or parts is only
allowed with the permission of Aquarium Glaser GmbH. If you have any question,
comment or inspiration, please contact us under info  aquariumglaser.de

Aquarium Glaser GmbH
Liebigstraße 1
D-63110 Rodgau, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 0
Telefax: +49 (0)6106 / 690 1 11
Email: info  aquariumglaser.de

Managing Director: Ursula Glaser-Dreyer

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Offenbach
Registernummer: HRB 2 1967
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer according § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 113530316

All texts, pictures and other works published on the internet page are subject to the
copyright of Aquarium Glaser GmbH, Rodgau, if not otherwise indicated. Any
duplication, distribution, storage, communication, broadcast and reproduction or
transmission of the contents without written approval from Aquarium Glaser GmbH is
prohibited.

  _____

Newsletter Modul powered by Aspiria Informationstechnologie <http://www.aspiria.de>

Nenhum vírus encontrado nessa mensagem recebida.
Verificado por AVG - www.avgbrasil.com.br
Versão: 9.0.800 / Banco de dados de vírus: 271.1.1/2793 - Data de Lançamento:
04/05/10 19:32:00