[Cyprinodontiformes] Várias fichas sobre espécies e comentários - Goodeids and poeciliids ( http://www.goodeids.com/ )

cyprinodontiformes viviparos.com cyprinodontiformes viviparos.com
Sexta-Feira, 3 de Julho de 2009 - 00:33:31 WEST

Allotoca meeki

http://www.goodeids.com/
Message Author - Martin ( Conservation Moderator )

Species/subspecies: Allotoca meeki
Population: Laguna Zacapu
Size: 7-12 cm.
Temperature: 7ºC to 23ºC
Food: Live invertebrates, flakefood, frozen food.
Aquarium size: 200 liter. Najas, Vallisnerias and Ceratophyllum are good
aquatic plants that can all ways be recommended.
Behaviour: Not particular agressive if kept in a large aquarium with a low
density of fish.
Breeding: The fry can grow up with the adults in a large aquarium with lots
of plants. Much better is to seperate the fry as they need lots of live food
to do well. Feed them daphnia, cyclops.
Also important for the long term breeding is the winter rest with reduced
temperatures below 18C.
Comments: Difficult species and rare in captivity. It is endangered in the
wild.

http://www.goodeids.com/
Message Author - Top_Cat ( Moderator )
Hi there please amend the Habitat information for this species to read as
Follows:-Lake Opopeo Mexico.
As when the Fish Ark was first formed people were beginning to say that this
species had probably become extinct as it's type habitat a lake ( Sorry all
I can remember is that it's name begins some thing like Zir, but the rest
escapes me) had dried out and the species had not been seen for a decade or
two. So one of the early request that I made of the staff at Morelia was to
see if they could track back to one of the original springs that used to
feed the Lake of the type habitat, well after numerous attempts they were
successful and in a small lake at the top of a mountain they found the last
known refuge of this species. Well done Morelia. I would add an image of
this site but I can't do it here.

Top_Cat

http://www.goodeids.com/
Message Author - Martin ( Conservation Moderator )
MY mistake. Off course they are not from zacapu!

Hubbsina turneri

http://www.goodeids.com/
Message Author - Martin ( Conservation Moderator )

Species/subspecies:
Hubbsina turneri

Population:
Laguna Zacapu
Size:
5-7 cm
Temperature:
Best betwin 16ºC and 22ºC. Can survive between 7ºC and 24ºC.
Food:
Live food ONLY.
Aquarium size:
50 l and more. Keep lots of plants like najas, ceratophyllum and
vallisnerias.
Behaviour:
Peaceful. Needs a hiding place. The adults live near the bottom of the
aquarium. The fry live near the surface.
Breeding:
Easy if there is all ways live food swimming in the aquarium. The adults
don't eat their fry if they are not hungry.
Comments:
Very rare in captivity. The fish tend to die after a few generations or
after accidents! It is however, relatively easy if kept cold, provided with
live food and clean water. However, even minor neglect can lead to a loss of
the population.

Crenichthys baileyi baileyi

http://www.goodeids.com/
Message Author - Martin ( Conservation Moderator )

Species/subspecies:
Crenichthys baileyi baileyi

Population:
Ash Springs, Nevada. USA
Size:
5 cm
Temperature:
Best 20ºC - 28ºC. Can take from 7ºC to 36ºC.
Food:
Primary detritus and dead insects, will feed as well on flake food, frozen
food and live food.
Aquarium size:
50-100L.
Behaviour:
They live in groups. The males have a very complex way to communicate with
colours and behaviour.
Breeding:
The eggs are layed in algae near the bottom. These can be collected and
stored in smaller plastic tubs at temperature of about 24-28C. The fry will
eat Artemia and detritus.
Comments:
This species is not legal to keep or breed in the US. It is established
among specialized aquarists in Europe.
The genus have some morphological similarities with the genus Characodon.
Males from both groups will fight if placed in the same tank and will go for
each others females.

Fabien
Extinct in the Wild
----
hello Martin,

what a really nice fish. sometimes the adult males are even as beautiful as
a Characodon from los berros !

i raise this specie too...but i don't agree with you.  i've never found any
egg in the bottom of the tank but always... in the top !It was so clear that
now i keep the mop floating...
in algaes yes and even in some mops but, that's true, they seem to prefer
algaes.
Do you think that there is a particular moment (season) for the laying ?
first i was thinking that it was in spring...but actually i find about 15
eggs each 2 weeks (i have 3 females) and for me it's a really good
number...before it was only one or two eggs each time.

i don't have good results in the breding of the youngs when i give them
artemias first. I have good results when i keep the egg in a small tank
(only one liter) with blue methylen and a lot of snails (planorbs) and when
i give some liquid food first (like Nobilfluid).

sgoodchild
Location: Vegas
----
Hello Fabien and Martin,

We are hoping to start up some work with this species, working with Brigham
Young University in Utah. I need to get the permits written first, but I
hope to get them working with several strains. I'll pass this great
information on to them, and keep you all in the loop.

I've been out of touch with the forum lately, it has been a busy season!

Happy new years! (or as people in Nantes say, Non a 2007!)
Shawn

Shawn

Lbc  ( Moderator / Purple Level Benefactor )
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
----
Hey guys, this is fantastic! It is wonderful to see some conversations
taking place and some information being exchanged about Crenichthys. I know
this happens in many other places that I'm not aware of, but the more
discussion the better is my thinking.
Martin, you mentioned some complex communication using color and behavior.
Is this a personal observation or has some information on this been
published somewhere that I might look it up? Thanks guys. Keep it going.

Joel

Fabien wrote:
Do you think that there is a particular moment (season) for the laying ?
first i was thinking that it was in spring...but actually i find about 15
eggs each 2 weeks (i have 3 females) and for me it's a really good
number...before it was only one or two eggs each time.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I found the following quote on
the ecos.fws.gov web site:

REPRODUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT:

Deacon and Minckley (1974) defined springfish spawning as asynchronous, i.e.
individual females will spawn at different times of the year. Most females
average two spawning periods a year, while the spawning season of the entire
population extends over a long period of time each year. White River
springfish spawn year-round with peak spawning activity from April through
August (Scoppettone et al. 1987). The period of spawning activity may be
regulated by primary productivity (production of food) in the spring system
(Schoenherr 1981).

Obviously I don't know how environmental factors might affect spawning
activity in captive populations of this fish.

Fabien
Location: France. Le Mans
----
sgoodchild wrote:
Hello Fabien and Martin,

We are hoping to start up some work with this species, working with Brigham
Young University in Utah. I need to get the permits written first, but I
hope to get them working with several strains. I'll pass this great
information on to them, and keep you all in the loop.

Hello Shawn,

very good news ! we will wait for your summaries and informations about the
work which will be done in Utah.

Quote:
or as people in Nantes say, Non a 2007!
Shawn

ohhh ! even in the States you have heard something about this !!! each year
it's the same thing...there are some persons hoping that the new year will
not occur but...each year it happens ! of course it's a joke, a manner to
celebrate the new year !

happy new year to you too !

Fabien
Location: France. Le Mans
----
Lbc wrote:

REPRODUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT:

Deacon and Minckley (1974) defined springfish spawning as asynchronous, i.e.
individual females will spawn at different times of the year. Most females
average two spawning periods a year, while the spawning season of the entire
population extends over a long period of time each year. White River
springfish spawn year-round with peak spawning activity from April through
August (Scoppettone et al. 1987). The period of spawning activity may be
regulated by primary productivity (production of food) in the spring system
(Schoenherr 1981).

Obviously I don't know how environmental factors might affect spawning
activity in captive populations of this fish.

in fact, it is really difficult to say...because to make conclusions on this
subject it should suppose to make a scientist work...i mean, it should be
important to describe exactly the entire conditions of the study like the
number of fishes, the tanks used, etc... for my part i don't harvest the
eggs regularly ...so it is difficult to say something about the spawning
activity.

Grigri
Location: Principality of Andorra
----
Hello Crenichthys lovers !

At witch size do you think they could begin to spawn ???
mine are now around 3,5 cm...
Very sympatic fish indeed

Martin ( Conservation Moderator )
----
I thought I lost all but now found two young fish among some Aphanius and
Fundulus jeveniles. So, hopefuly, I think they are a pair. And they are not
the nominatespecies.

Martin

Fabien
Location: France. Le Mans
----
Grigri wrote:

At witch size do you think they could begin to spawn ???
mine are now around 3,5 cm...

Hello Andorran breeder !

i think that they are able to spawn at this size...if not, they will do
soon...  don't worry you will have success with them...even if they are not
livebearers !!!
happy new year to you mister Grigri !

Fabien
Location: France. Le Mans
----
Martin wrote:
So, hopefuly, I think they are a pair. And they are not the nominatespecies.

Martin

and so ? what are they ?

mzapater
Location: Spain
----
Hi!

The ones that Alain brought us are spawning now at about 19 ºC, I am
separating some eggs and the embryos are slowly becoming patent. Any tips on
raising the fry? I guess due to the size of the eggs that they will take
baby brine shrimp stright after birth.

Best regards,

Manuel...

pd: the eggs are kept at about 24 ºC

Grigri
Location: Principality of Andorra
----
Hola Manuel !

It's quite surprising that they breed at 19C
but good news
I feed mine with nauplii strait from the first day...

See you

Grigri
Location: Principality of Andorra
----
By the way...

Do some one have a manner to get some Crenichthys nevadensis and/or
Empetrichthys ??? I am particularly interested by the later one.
I supposed they are not more forbidden in Europe than C.bailey

mzapater
Location: Spain

----
Salut Alain, Hi everybody else.

Unfortunately, due to a stupid mistake of mine, the box where the eggs were
got dry.. all the water evaporated. Anyway, I am sure they will keep on
laying some eggs. The pair I have look really good.

Best regards,

Manuel...