[Cyprinodontiformes] Projecto Internacional de Goodeiídeos (10)

www.viviparos.com viviparos viviparos.com
Terça-Feira, 7 de Abril de 2009 - 23:23:16 WEST

Prezados colegas,

No seguimento das nove mensagens anteriores sobre este assunto, aqui fica o
registo da continuação do diálogo em causa.
Hoje reproduz-se a primeira resposta à mensagem dada a conhecer em Projecto
Internacional de Goodeiídeos (9). Antes disso houve apenas a minha
contribuição para o diálogo com as minhas respostas ao grupo de perguntas
que eu próprio havia proposto.
Nunca é demais alertar-vos para o facto de que, dentro das disponibilidades
de tempo livre, será sempre possível fazer-se a tradução se necessário.
Depois da Páscoa há mais devido à minha ausência até à próxima
segunda-feira.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Colin Grist
Enviada: sexta-feira, 2 de Janeiro de 2009 11:59
Para: Michael Koeck; Ivan Dibble; Martin Ravn Tversted; Joel Healy; Miguel
Andrade; Colin Grist; Omar Dominguez; Brian Zimmerman; Miguel Zapater; Matt
Naumann; Alain Grioche; Gasper Gomboc; Guenther Schleussner; Gunter
Teichmann; Guenter-Ellenberg; Horváth Balázs; Kleine Horst; Harro
Hieronimus; Anton Weissenbacher; Dietmar Kunath; Erwin Radax; Patrick C.
Schmitz; Roman Slaboch; Kees de Jong; Stefan Hertwig; Jen Nightingale, Jonny
Rudd
Assunto: RE: Michael Koeck's idea - more developments

Thanks Miguel for another very interesting e-mail.

Miguel has written things very well, so I do not want repeat much of what
has already been said, but here are some additional comments.

With regard to hobbyist and professional collaboration, we held a roundtable
discussion at the end of the last Viviparous Fishes Symposium in Mexico to
talk about this subject. I had made a proposal that an international group
be established who's main concern would be Goodeids, but not totally
excluding other Cyprinodonts. There were representatives from hobbyist,
professional and academic groups in attendance at the meeting.
Unfortunately, there was resistance from some professionals and many
academics who believe there is no place for hobbyists within such a
collaboration - despite several hobbyists being present (including Ivan) who
were so obviously contributing in very positive ways. I tried to pull this
together over several months after the event, but did not get responses that
were conducive to the cause.

The British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) fortunately
now recognize the importance of hobbyist involvement, so we have no problem
there. I am not fully clear if that extends to the European Association of
Zoos and Aquariums (EAZA).

I will be speaking at the Poecilia Scandinavia conference in May and intend
to bring the subject up again - some of our Scandinavian friends were
present at the Mexico meeting and I know they support the idea. Perhaps a
representative from there should be invited into this discussion.

Another topic that needs to be discussed is the exchanging and/or
transferring of living fishes. Transferring stock from one place to another
is obviously necessary and important, but we should investigate which
protocols should be employed to reduce the risks of cross infecting such
ailments as Mycobacterium, for example.

OK, that's a bit more input from me.

Best regards,
Colin

Colin Grist
Aquarium Projects Coordinator
North of England Zoological Society
Chester Zoo, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1244 389 722
www.chesterzoo.org

Moderator: NAW & Syngnathidae Listserves